Per Diem Information
Per Diem represents the amount that an organization allows an individual to spend while performing their duties in travel status.
Rates are set by the Federal Government in which the State of Maine follows.
How To Locate Per Diem Rates
U.S. Pro Rata Per Diem Rates can be found at U.S. General Services Administration.
To locate the amount of Per Diem eligible, please follow the GSA link above and follow the below steps.
- Choose your travel location on the US Map. (The above link will take you out of the OSC website.)
- Next, review the list by City or County. If the City or County you are staying in does not show on the list, please use the Standard Rate (CONUS).
- Once you have identified the M&IE (Meals and Incidentals) Rate for your area, return to the State Controller Per Diem travel page (this page).
- On the page below, find your M&IE Rate on the "Components" table to determine the breakdown.
For example: If the M&IE Rate is $46, Breakfast would be $7, Lunch $11, Dinner $23 and $5 for Incidentals.
U.S. Pro-rata Breakdown of Per Diem Rates for Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) by Components
(As of October 1, 2009 through September 30, 2010)
Please note: The rates will be remaining the same through September 30, 2013.
|Meal - Breakfast||$7.00||$8.00||$9.00||$10.00||$11.00||$12.00|
|Meal - Lunch||$11.00||$12.00||$13.00||$15.00||$16.00||$18.00|
|Meal - Dinner||$23.00||$26.00||$29.00||$31.00||$34.00||$36.00|
|Total Per Day (M&IE Rate)||$46.00||$51.00||$56.00||$61.00||$66.00||$71.00|
NOTE: The amounts listed above are the amounts to be removed from the per diem when meals are otherwise provided (ie. meals provided at a meeting, training or conference). These amounts ARE NOT limits on how the traveler uses the per diem.
|(1st Day) ~ Hour of Departure||Amount||Amount||Amount||Amount||Amount||Amount|
|12:01 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. (I+D+L+B)||$46.00||$51.00||$56.00||$61.00||$66.00||$71.00|
|6:01 a.m. to 12:00 noon (I+D+L)||$39.00||$43.00||$47.00||$51.00||$55.00||$59.00|
|12:01 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (I+D)||$28.00||$31.00||$34.00||$36.00||$39.00||$41.00|
|6:01 p.m. to 12:00 midnight (I Only)||$5.00||$5.00||$5.00||$5.00||$5.00||$5.00|
|(Last Day) ~ Hour of Return||Amount||Amount||Amount||Amount||Amount||Amount|
|12:01 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. (I Only)||$5.00||$5.00||$5.00||$5.00||$5.00||$5.00|
|6:01 a.m. to 12:00 noon (I+B)||$12.00||$13.00||$14.00||$15.00||$16.00||$17.00|
|12:01 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (I+B+L)||$23.00||$25.00||$27.00||$30.00||$32.00||$35.00|
|6:01 p.m. to 12:00 midnight (I+B+L+D)||$46.00||$51.00||$56.00||$61.00||$66.00||$71.00|
1. The Per Diem rate will be the rate for the location of the traveler at midnight on each night in overnight status. At 12:01 a.m., the rates change to the next destination. The meal reimbursement rate for the last day of travel (return day) would continue to be the rate for the location where the traveler last stopped for sleep.
2. If traveling by vehicle, the departure and return time shall be the actual time of departure from or return to headquarters or residence.
3. If traveling by common carrier, reasonable time for travel to the point of departure or return is allowable. Two hours prior to flight departure in Portland for travel from Augusta shall be considered reasonable. A copy of the air travel itinerary MUST be attached to the Travel Expense voucher.
4. The Per Diem of Meals & Incidental Expense (M&IE) allowance MUST be reduced for ALL meals provided at a conference, training or meeting. A copy of the agenda MUST be attached to the Travel Expense voucher.
For Per Diem rates outside of the country, please visit the U.S. Department of State.