Skip Maine state header navigation
Dept. of Administrative & Financial Services
Office of Information Technology
Unwanted electronic commercial messages will be reduced by authenticating users prior to their addresses being included in global distribution lists.
The purpose of this Best Practice is to document the method of prohibiting SMTP messages through global distribution lists to implement the Policy to Minimize Delivery of Commercially Unwanted Electronic Messages throughout Maine State Government.
This Best Practice applies to the Office of Information Technology (OIT); and it will impact all agencies of Maine State Government which use the Office’s email and other electronic messaging networks.
2. Active Directory – A directory service that stores information about objects on a network and makes this information available to users and network administrators.
3. Global Distribution List – A list containing specified users created in Active Directory specifically for the purpose of receiving e-mail messages.
4. Manager of Distribution List – Individual user assigned to maintain a global distribution list.
5. Authenticated User – An account located in Active Directory requiring a userID and password to enter the domain.
Policy to Minimize Delivery of Unwanted Commercial Electronic Messages throughout
1. Document Reference Number: 3.5
2. Category: Internet, Network and Transport
3. Adoption Date: August 10, 2006
4. Effective Date: August 10, 2006
5. Review Date: August 10, 2009
6. Point of Contact: Sandra Saunders, Maureen Tuttle and Lori Blier, Enterprise Messaging Team, Applications Services, Office of Information Technology
7. Approved By: Richard B. Thompson, CIO
8. Position Title(s) or Agency Responsible for Enforcement: Kathy Record, Associate Chief Information Officer, Office of Information Technology
9. Legal Citation:
10. Waiver Process: