Skip Maine state header navigation
Dept. of Administrative & Financial Services
Office of Information Technology
The purpose of this Best Practice is to document the use of the Out-of-Office Replies to the Internet feature which is potentially used by all State employees who use OIT’s email messaging system, to minimize delivery of commercially unwanted electronic messages.
This Best Practice applies to the Office of Information Technology (OIT); and it will impact all agencies of Maine State Government which use the Office’s e-mail and other electronic messaging networks.
1. Out-of-Office Reply - An automatic email message sent from an employee’s mailbox whenever the Out-of-Office Reply rule in the Outlook client has been enabled by the employee.
2. Out-of-Office Reply to the Internet - An automatic email message set up by an employee that responds to an Internet sender when the Out-of-Office Reply rule in Outlook is enabled AND the Out-of-Office Reply to the Internet function is enabled on the OIT Mail Exchange server.
3. Out-of-Office Alternative Rule - An Outlook rule that can be downloaded to the client and enabled when applicable to send Out-of-Office replies to the Internet as well as to users on the State’s mail system once the Out-of-Office Reply to the Internet function is disabled on the OIT Mail Exchange server.
1. Instructions and download for installing the Out-of-Office Alternative Rule to the Outlook client: http://inet.state.me.us/oit/services/electronicmessaging/index.html
to Minimize Delivery of Unwanted Commercial Electronic Messages throughout
1. Document Reference Number: 3.3
2. Category: Internet, Network and Transport
3. Adoption Date: August 10, 2006
4. Effective Date: August 10, 2006
5. Review Date: August 10, 2009
6. Point of Contact: Sandra Saunders, Maureen Tuttle and Lori
7. Approved By: Richard B. Thompson, Chief Information Officer
8. Position Title(s) or Agency Responsible for Enforcement: Kathy Record, Associate Chief Information Officer, Office of Information Technology
9. Legal Citation:
10. Waiver Process: