The Committee this year documented five focus areas that allow the group to meet their charter, and then identified initiatives that would support each area. That list is as follows:
Visibility and Awareness
When does the IT Accessibility Committee meet, and can anyone review their minutes?
They meet the 3rd Monday of every month and all notes are posted on the website:
Ongoing monitoring and follow up when accessibility policies are breached
Compliance testing of state websites
Improved procurement language (contract administration)
New bid review process which will include accessibility representation
State of Maine self audit process for all websites, including review of accessibility
Hardware testing for accessibility compliance
Updating web accessibility standards
Software testing (Internal and Vendor)
Initiate waiver process with ISPB
Resource & Support
Identify testing resources (software and hardware)
Build an accessibility sharing library
Publish best practices on website and in MIST
Create list of expertise in accessibility to assist as needed
Communication of national efforts
Research and link where appropriate Maine to national efforts
Sharing status of current private and public sector litigation
Targeted product training on accessibility
- Home Page Reader
- Software development training in universal design
- Accessibility awareness incorporated into new employee orientation
- Accessibility awareness in mandatory management training
- Accessible web design
How do I find out the schedule of training sponsored by the accessibility committee?
There are multiple ways to get this information:
1. The accessibility website
2. Contacting Mary K. Silva in The Office of the Chief Information Officer (624-7574, firstname.lastname@example.org) who serves as staff for the Committee.
3. Check with your Agency Technology Officer as all training notices are sent to the ISMG.