Accompanying the Young Reader: Helping the Reader Choose Appropriate Books
- Link: Accompanying the Young Reader: Helping the Reader Choose Appropriate Books
- Topic: Programming & Services - Children
- Level: Elective
- Sponsor: WebJunction
- Format: self paced online
- Contact Hours: 1
NOTE: You must have a WebJunction Learning account to access this course.
Self Paced Courses > Youth Services > Accompanying the Young Reader: Helping the Reader Choose Appropriate Books
This course is designed for teachers, librarians, and parents who are helping beginning readers choose books to read. As professionals we can fine tune this process before it begins, eliminate much of the frustration, and offer the learner appropriate choices that will get them into actually READING books while they still want to, and not after they're too tired to even care anymore!
It is based on the Reading Recovery Teacher training in which teachers learn how an appropriate book choice for each daily lesson encourages successful reading. Reading Recovery is a program for early intervention for 1st graders who are at-risk in the area of literacy.
This course will help you:
- Identify the interests and curiosities of a young reader by topics, authors and favorites
- Assess the reader's reading level for appropriate choices
- Choose books by looking at format, structure and language
- Introduce a book to a reader to help ensure reading success
- Become aware of different types of reading for varying difficulties and fluencies