Improving Your Emotional Intelligence Skills: Self-awareness and Self-management
- Link: Improving Your Emotional Intelligence Skills: Self-awareness and Self-management
- Topic: Management - Interpersonal Skills
- Level: Elective
- Sponsor: WebJunction/Skillsoft
- Format: self paced online
- Contact Hours: 1
NOTE: You must have a WebJunction Skillsoft Learning account to access this course. Instructions for setting up an account are in the yellow box on the right side of the Voluntary Certification Homepage.
Click on the link above and enter your learning account login and password. Follow the path below to find the course.
Catalog > Communication & Interpersonal Skills > Improving Your Emotional Intelligence Skills: Self-awareness and Self-management
Emotional intelligence is the ability to recognize and deal with emotions in a healthy and productive manner. Many people don't realize that their emotions are determined by what they think, and that concrete self-management techniques exist for gaining control of feelings. Emotional intelligence involves being aware of and managing emotions within your relationships with others. But before you can recognize others' emotions and manage your relationships, you must have a firm sense and control of your own feelings. Through this course you'll learn how to build your emotional intelligence through appropriate actions and techniques for managing your emotions. You'll focus on the competency areas of`self-awareness and self-management. You'll learn how to identify and regulate your own emotions through self-awareness techniques, including understanding the value of emotional self-awareness and recognizing typical behavioral and physical expressions of key emotions. And you'll explore how to move from self-awareness to self-management and how self-management functions as a component of emotional intelligence. Materials designed to support blended learning activities aligned with this course are available from the Resources Page.
- recognize the value of emotional self-awareness
- recognize techniques for building self-awareness
- recognize how self-management functions as a component of emotional intelligence
- choose appropriate actions for managing the emotions demonstrated in a given scenario