Technology Petting Zoo Use Policy
Any member of the Maine Regional Library System that meets the Maine Public Library Minimum Standards may borrow the technology petting zoo for the purpose of providing hands-on familiarization and training with e-readers and tablets. The devices in the petting zoo are: Kindle PaperWhite (e-reader), Nook SimpleTouch (e-reader), Kindle Fire (tablet), Nook HD+ (tablet), Google Nexus (tablet), and Apple iPad Mini (tablet). There are six of each device in the collection, and each comes with a USB cable and AC adaptor.
- The borrowing library must contact the Maine State Library by online form or email and receive confirmation as to the materials loaned and duration of the loan.
- The standard loan period is one week but may be negotiated if circumstances demand a longer loan period.
Responsibilities of the Maine State Library
- The Maine State Library will house and maintain the devices and linked vendor accounts.
- The Maine State Library will provide carrying cases for the loaned device for safe transport NOT through the MSL van delivery service for interlibrary loans only drop-off/pick-up at the Maine State Library, via an approved host library, or an arranged and insured third party delivery service.
- The Maine State Library will offer basic training in the use of these devices, if trainers are available. Please describe the training needs in the Additional Information portion of the online request form.
Responsibilities of the borrowing library
- Completion of the online request form at the Maine State library website.
- Pick up and return the borrowed devices or make arrangements for insured shipping to and from the Maine State Library.
- Inform the Maine State Library of any damages done to or loss of the petting zoo, its components or carrying cases.
- Payment for damages done to, or losses of, any device or component of the petting zoo. Replacement devices are not an acceptable form of payment. The value of the complete petting zoo is $7,344.