Skip Maine state header navigation
Meeting Minutes for September 15, 2005
Members Present: Phil Lindley, Joanne Steneck, Linda Lord for Gary Nichols, Greg Scott, Deb Alford for Greg Desjardin, Jeff Letourneau, Reginald Palmer, Melinda Poore for Lance Bell.
Members Absent: Scott Thibeau, Bill Black
1) The Minutes from August 18, 2005, meeting were approved.
2) Status of Connections. Deb Alford provided an updated count of sites: 193 installed standard 56 kbps connections (with 10 planned disconnects), 486 installed T-1 connections (with 9 planned adds), and 91 installed ATM circuits that serve 141 sites. She said that she would be checking for a more accurate number of shared sites. Deb said that there are 39 DSL sites connected with 1 in progress. Bill corrections are proceeding. The July bill for FRS will continue to be a manual bill.
3) Status of Internet Service. Jeff Letourneau said that the UNET network was working well. He said that there were back-to-school viruses that amounted to network “noise” and that all were cleaned out. There have a number of filtering outages which caused some slowdowns. N2H2 was recently bought out and he will be monitoring continuity issues.
4) Federal E-Rate Issues. Sylvia Norton submitted the BEAR form for July-April 2004/2005 on August 24, 2005, and she will be submitting the May-June BEAR form this week. She has had contact from PIA about the 2005 application. Review should begin soon.
5) E-Rate Issues. Joanne Steneck discussed the MSLN procedure changes and the “participation packet.” Linda Schatz is assisting with the packet contents and working on the E-rate applications. Linda Schatz also discussed the DSL connections and what should be on the application. A DSL RFP will go out as soon as possible. The contract extensions for UNET and Verizon were discussed and the Board decided that maximum and minimum numbers should be avoided, and to include all relevant services, although, date extensions only may be the most expedient regarding E-rate.
6) Bandwidth Increase for 56kbps Sites: The subcommittee met to work on the timing issue, i.e. all upgrades to be effective for billing on 7/1/06, regardless of the install date. Routers will probably be cheapest ordered off the state contract.
Next MSLN Advisory Board Meeting – September 15,
2005, at 9:30am.
(Rescheduled to November 18, 2005, at 1:30PM).