Money Saving Tips
Ten ways to lower your electric bills
- Turn off your computer, if you have one, every night. Also, use the sleep mode so that it automatically "rests" if you haven't used it for a while.
- Replace electric blankets with a good feather quilt or down duvet.
- Install compact fluorescent light bulbs wherever possible, then see next bullet.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room.
- Turn off and open your dishwasher after the wash but before the "dry" cycle (or use the "air dry" option if there is one).
- Resist the urge to heed utility flyer advice to buy electric appliances.
- Clean the lint filter in your electric dryer after every load to improve air circulation.
- Heat water with propane or heating oil rather than electricity.
- Carefully instruct teenagers living in your house to kindly observe sound energy practices. And then make them!
- When buying new appliances, look for an Energy Star rating. You will save more than the cost long before the appliance needs replacing.
For more information on how to use less electricity without sacrificing comfort or convenience, check out the following links: