Hazardous Materials Training: First Responder Operations
First responders at the operations level respond to releases or potential releases of hazardous substances as part of the initial response to the site for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, property, or the environment from the effects of the release.
They are trained to respond in a defensive fashion without actually trying to stop the release. They should be able to demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Know basic hazard and risk assessment techniques.
- Know how to select and use proper personal protective equipment provided to the first responder operational level.
- An understanding of basic hazardous materials terms.
- Know how to perform basic control, containment, or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and personal protective equipment available within their organization.
- Know how to implement basic decontamination procedures.
- Have an understanding of the relevant standard operating procedures and termination procedures.