Hazardous Materials Training: First Responder Awareness
First responders at the awareness level are individuals who are likely to witness or discover a hazardous substance release and who have been trained to initiate an emergency response sequence by notifying the proper authorities of the release. They would take no further action beyond notifying the authorities of the release. First responders at this level shall have sufficient training or experience to objectively demonstrate competency in the following areas.
- An understanding of what hazardous materials are, and the risks associated with them in an incident.
- An understanding of the potential outcomes associated with an emergency created when hazardous materials are present.
- The ability to recognize the presence of hazardous materials in an emergency.
- The ability to identify the hazardous materials, if possible.
- An understanding of the role of the first responder awareness individual in the employer's emergency response plan including site security and control and the U.S. Department of Transportation's Emergency Response Guidebook.
- The ability to realize the need for additional resources and to make appropriate notifications to the communication center.