Maine Prepares ... for Winter
Remembering the Ice Storm of 1998 reminds us of how violent winter in Maine can be. MEMA photo by Gene Maxim.
Winter in Maine is beautiful, but sometimes cruel.
As we prepare for winter storms and chills, remember that fall and winter can also bring violent coastal storms, unexpected thaws and flooding as well as snow and ice. But "If winter comes, can spring be far behind?"
A big part of preparing for winter in Maine has to do with making sure our homes are weather-tight, and helping those who need it to access heating assistance. Take a look at MaineHousing's Weatherization resources.
Hazards of the Season
- Winter Safety: Preventing Hypothermia
- Winter Safety: Wood Burning and Lung Health
- Winter Storms: Watch, Warning and Advisory Criteria
- Winter: Your Car's Preparedness Kit
- Carbon Monoxide Safety in Power Outages
- NOAA Weather Radio
- Alternative Heat Source Safety
- Preventing or Thawing Frozen Water Pipes
- Mold: Questions and Answers
- Chain Saw Safety
- Mold: Clean-up
- Winter Safety: If Stranded with your Vehicle
For More Information
- Winter Weather Forecasts from the National Weather Service
- Maine's current winter weather from the National Weather Service
- 511 Maine Road Conditions Report
- Statewide Road Conditions from the Maine Department of Transportation. Or dial 511!
- National Weather Service Winter Awareness
- Everything you ever wanted to know about winter storms.
- The Official Click and Clack Winter Driving Rules
- Winter Tips A Baker's Dozen (and Then Some) from Tom and Ray Magliozzi, the National Public Radio "Car Talk" Guys
- Carbon Monoxide Safety
- Important safety information from the Maine Department of Health and Human Services.
- FEMA's ReadyKids: Winter Storms and Extreme Cold
- Games, quizzes and winter facts from FEMA.
- If You Use an Electric Generator, be Safe!
- Important information on safe use of emergency generators, from Central Maine Power.
- Kerosene Heater Safety
- Kerosene heater safety tips from Michigan State University Extension Service.
- Energy Savings Tips
- EfficiencyMaine, the energy efficiency experts for Maine State government, have put together this web site to provide some basic energy conservation tips.
- Preventing and Thawing Frozen Pipes
- Red Cross Information and suggestions about how to prevent water pipes in the home from freezing, and how to thaw them if they do freeze.