> Tips > Keep this silent killer out of your home
Keep this silent killer out of your home
January 19, 2014
We've said it before: carbon monoxide kills. Install a CO detector in your home near where people sleep. Use generators outside only, at least 15 feet away from any doors or windows. Keep gas-powered lamps, stoves, generators or grills -- charcoal-type included -- OUT of your house, garage, shop or basement. Make sure heater vents and chimneys are clear of dirt and debris. If you feel dizzy or weak, get some fresh air immediately, get out of your house and call 911.
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- August 21, 2014: Keep the Poison Center number handy
- August 20, 2014: Some things should never mix
- August 19, 2014: Are your cupboards poisonous?
- August 18, 2014: Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink
- August 17, 2014: Don't be afraid to tell your kids you're afraid
- August 16, 2014: Watch the news, then turn off the TV
- August 15, 2014: Take control in an emergency
- August 14, 2014: Your emergency plan is all about you
- August 13, 2014: Hunt for hidden hazards
- August 12, 2014: Tune your mind to the Safety Channel
- August 11, 2014: Protect your important papers
- August 10, 2014: Does your phone work when the power goes out?
- August 9, 2014: If it's in your emergency food supply, will your kids eat it?
- August 8, 2014: Practice makes perfect
- August 7, 2014: Asking for help is a sign of independence.
- August 6, 2014: Find out how your town would alert you in an emergency
- August 5, 2014: What does your grandmother know that you don't?
- August 4, 2014: What's in your wallet?
- August 4, 2014: Serve emergency awareness with dinner tonight
- August 2, 2014: When it's hot out there: take care
- August 1, 2014: August heat breeds August storms: take them seriously
- July 31, 2014: Campfire safety starts with building it right
- July 30, 2014: Rotate your water supply and always have a cool drink
- July 29, 2014: Safe boating starts with anticipating the weather
- July 28, 2014: The best things in life are free. Like your emergency plan
- July 27, 2014: Good information is golden
- July 26, 2014: Connect your family with knowledge: it's powerful
- July 25, 2014: If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs ...
- July 24, 2014: Watch your watches and warnings
- July 23, 2014: What needs would you or your family have in an emergency?