TRAINING ANNOUNCEMENT: Social Media for Disaster Response and Recovery
September 16, 2015
January 11, 2016
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Northern Maine Community College
33 Edgemont Drive
Presque Isle, Maine 04769
This course focuses on the use of social media in disaster preparedness, response, and recovery. Participants are provided with the knowledge and skills to integrate social media into their current communication plans. The course defines social media and its uses and identifies the tools, methods, and models to properly make use of social media.
Social media, when used effectively, can help people communicate and collaborate about events as they unfold. Social media can provide rapid and real-time information about events that helps to provide greater situational awareness leading to better decision making.
This course provides the information and hands-on experience necessary to help participants begin developing social media disaster plans and strategies.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE
This course is targeted for a broad cross section of individuals and professionals interested and involved in emergency management, planners, as well as communication and public information personnel.
- Introduction to Social Media
- Understanding the Use of Social Media
- Implementing Different Social Media Platforms
- Using Social Media to Identify Trends, Monitor, and Conduct Simple Data Mining of Information
- Incorporating Advanced Social Media Monitoring and Data Mining Techniques
- Participants must bring a wi-fi enabled device. Laptop is preferred
- Participants must create a Twitter and a Facebook account prior to attending the course.
- Participants must be able to post test messages on these accounts.
FOR REGISTRATION ASSISTANCE CONTACT: