Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are the most asked questions that people have about the OBDS process.

Q. How do I get a business sign?
You must apply to the Maine Dept. of Transportation's Right-of-Way Control section for a permit. The mailing address can be found on each permit.

Q. Does State of Maine make the signs?
No, the State of Maine does not make the signs. Once a permit has been issued, the business/organization is responsible for the fabrication of the sign(s).

Q. Does the State of Maine only allow OBDS signs on State Highways?
No, the State allows OBDS signs on any public way with local approval.

Q. Who signs the application within the municipality/town where the sign is to be located?
In most municipalities, it is the Code Enforcement Officer or another designated municipal official who signs the applications.

Q. Who installs the signs?
The Maine Dept. of Transportation region sign crews will install the sign(s).

Q. How much does a sign cost?
The cost varies in different towns, cities, and counties.

Q. Can I pay my invoice online?
Yes you can view and pay your invoice using this Online Service

Q. How many kinds of signs are allowed?
There are two types the MaineDOT allows, Reflectorized in three (3) sizes, and Non-Reflectorized in one (1) size.

Q. What are the sign dimensions?

Q. Can I have the sign installed along the roadway in advance of my business?
No, the OBDS is for change of direction.

Q. Can I make my own sign?
Yes, the Non-reflectorized sign may be manufactured by the owner, but its size and layout must conform to the regulations shown on the Forms Page.

Q. Can I use any Logos?
Yes, a business logo is acceptable, general logos should be similar to the examples shown on the Forms Page.

Q. Can I apply for a sign permit online?
Not at this time, however you can download and print out the application forms on the Forms Page of this web site; and mail them in.

Q. Do I need an application for each sign?
No, but you will need a separate application for each intersection, an application may indicate a request for (2) signs, one for left turns and one for right turns at the same intersection.

Q. Do I need to send payment in with the application(s)?
Yes, the cost for both a Non-Reflectorized sign and a Reflectorized sign is $30.00 each.


This page last updated on 1/22/15