Process and Schedule
Sarah Mildred Long Bridge Replacement Project Open House
Thursday, September 18th from 3 pm to 6 pm The Kittery Community Center at Frisbbe Commons
120 Rogers Road Kittery, Maine
The Maine Department of Transportation and the New Hampshire Department of
Transportation are sponsoring an open house to showcase the final design of the new Sarah
Mildred Long Bridge. Members of the public and the media are encouraged to explore the
open house’s multi-media exhibits, which will include 3D animations, slideshows, and a model
to help people understand how aspects of the new bridge will promote mobility, avoid
congestion, enable growth, and support a thriving port.
Department of Transportation representatives, along with the design team of FIGG I Hardesty & Hanover Joint Venture, will be available to answer questions and talk about additional details
including the design, the alignment, and the schedule. This open house is the latest of nine
public activities for the project. A portion of the exhibit will detail the public process and explain
the process by which members of the public selected aspects of the new bridge.
Visit the Open House web page
MaineDOT plans to replace the existing Sarah Mildred Long Bridge through the alternative project delivery method known as the Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC) process.
The CM/GC process allows an owner (represented by MaineDOT) to engage a contractor, known as a Construction Manager, to provide constructability input during the design process. The intent is to form a partnership among the Owner, the Construction Manager, and the Design Consultant. The “Stakeholders Group” is also an integral partner to ensure the bridge design reflects the interests, personality and aesthetics of the community whenever practicable.
Preliminary Project Schedule
- Preliminary Design Complete: September 2013
- Final Plans, Specifications, and Estimates Complete: June 2014
- Construction Begins: Fall 2014
- New Bridge Opens to Traffic: November 2017
- Construction Complete: Fall 2018
Stakeholder Meeting and Workshop Schedules
- Stakeholder Meeting: January 24, 2013
- Design Workshop: April 26, 2013
- Stakeholder Meeting: May 30, 2013
- Design Workshop: July 11, 2013
- Stakeholder Meeting: October/November, 2013
- Please Note:
- Stakeholder Meetings are for input and information
- Design Workshops are cross section of the community to work with design team on selecting bridge features for final aesthetics
This page last updated on