maine state ferry service
Maine State Ferry Service General Information
Print out this page
- Rates and fares are available at all terminals.
- Vehicle reservations will not be accepted more than one month in advance of travel date.
- Payment must include all transportation charges and a non-refundable reservation fee.
- Requests should be addressed to the terminal from which travel will begin.
- ALL vehicles w/driver, including those with reservations, must be in line with tickets and in all respects ready to board (driver in vehicle) fifteen (15) minutes before scheduled departure. Failure to adhere to this policy will result in loss of place in line and forfeiture of reservation and reservation fees, if applicable.
- Note: Some terminal locations require vehicles to be in line further in advance of 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Please contact the local terminal for specific lineup procedures.
- ALL schedule times are actual departure times, not boarding times (15 minutes prior to departure).
- Service will be limited on New Year’s, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Contact the appropriate terminal for specific schedules on those days.
- Disabled Persons: Disabled persons needing assistance boarding or disembarking should notify terminal personnel to assure assistance will be provided.
- Pets: Dogs, cats, birds and other pets must be held secure by leash, crate,cage etc.
- Methods of Payment: U.S. Currency, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and in-state checks are accepted. Out-of-state checks cannot be accepted.
Sample Round-Trip Ticket
- TICKETS SOLD BY THE MAINE STATE FERRY SERVICE HAVE NO EXPIRATION DATE. THEREFORE, NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE.
- General Schedule Information & Daily Operations Update (for Vinalhaven, North Haven, & Matinicus)
- Tel. 1-800-491-4883 TTY: 1-888-516-9364 (For other routes, call local terminal).
- Rates and Schedules are Subject to Change without Notice.
Passenger Safety Information
- Parents or guardians are responsible for the safety and conduct of minor passengers.
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
- All passengers should keep well clear of moving vehicles.
- Passengers should be prepared for possible jolt during docking of the vessel.
- Trips may be cancelled due to unsafe weather, sea conditions, or mechanical failure.
- Enclosed passenger space aboard the ferry is limited.
- Bicycle riders have the same rights and responsibilities as other vehicle operators on the roadways in Maine. No warranty or guarantee is made as to the suitability of the roadway conditions or fitness for bicycling.
- PASSENGERS SHOULD BE AWARE THAT THE FERRY VESSELS REMAIN AT THE ISLAND OVERNIGHT WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE CAPT. E. FRANK THOMPSON OPERATING TO VINALHAVEN. THEREFORE, PASSENGERS MISSING THE LAST TRIP WILL BE STRANDED ON THE ISLAND OVERNIGHT.
- Smoking is prohibited on all vessels and in all terminals (including vehicles on the ferry).
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited on all vessels and on all Ferry Service properties (including vehicles on ferry).
- Violations may result in loss of transportation privileges.
- Cell Phones: The use of cell phones while drivers/vehicles are loading & unloading is prohibited.
This page last updated on