Paving Checklist for a Municipal Paving Contract
- Town name
- Location Map
- Road Names & detailed descriptions of job limits
- Road length and widths (as accurately as possible)
- Description of materials (DOT Type of HMA (Hot Mix Asphalt), # layers, thicknesses (compacted), etc.)
- Accurate estimate of mix noted in bid? (using 110 lbs./sq. yd./1 inch thick)
- Reference to MDOT specs for: materials, equipment, surface prep, laydown procedures, sampling, weather limitations
- Shim neccessary prior to paving?
- Tack coat or not? Type? Rate?
- Bonds? (bid, payment, performance, maintenance)
- Insurance minimums?
- Liquidated damage amount?
- Hold harmless/indemnification clause?
- Municipal liability insurance not more than $400,000
- Bid notice wording to "accept or reject any and all bids"?
- Who's responsible for traffic control? Contractor? Town? Joint effort? Had any training in traffic control?
- Statement that all work zone devices & setups shall conform to the standards in latest MUTCD.
- Will Town do surface prep prior to contractor arrival? Ditching necessary? Culverts?
- Statement that road will be ready for paving by certain date and all work must be completed by a certain date.
- Any sidewalks, parking lots, curbs to be paved?
- Any catch basins or manholes to be adjusted?
- Cross-slope of 1/4" per foot-of-lane width noted?
- What services will municipality provide, if any? Trucking? Flaggers?
- Who's in charge from municipality?
- Provision for sampling, testing, inspecting?
- Anyone to monitor work? Document?
- Who's going to "accept" the work prior to payment?
- "Unit price" per ton will include hauling and placing material, traffic control, preparatory sweeping, mobilization, etc.
- Payment arrangements
- Make it clear that side jobs (i.e. private driveways) are not part of the town's contract. Include a "hold harmless/indemnification" clause to protect Town from "private problems".
- Striping necessary? Who'll do it? How soon after paving? Correct width and colors per MUTCD?
- Contractor name, address, phone, and signature?
This page last updated on