Below are listed the current publications that the Maine Local Roads Center has avaiable for download or purchase.
Maine Municipal Association (MMA) articles on roads and public works
- Summer 2012 (PDF)
- Winter 2007-2008 (PDF)
- Summer 2007 Newsletter (PDF)
- Fall 2006 Newsletter (PDF)
List of Previous Maine Local Roads Center newsletter articles
- Roll out the barrels... but not onto the centerline! (Word) (PDF)
- Crack Sealing Alert! (Word) (PDF)
- Driveways, entrances, and sight distances (Word) (PDF)
- Maintaining Private Roads "Not with Public Funds" (Word) (PDF)
- Tire Chips for road construction (Word) (PDF)
- Snowplowing and CDL’s (Word) (PDF)
- Yankee Ingenuity: low cost inventions by municipal officials (Word) (PDF)
- State maintained bridges and town pavement don’t mix (Word) (PDF)
- What is a "Capital Improvement" (Word) (PDF)
- New MDOT Policy on these signs (Word) (PDF)
- Why Your Municipality Should Join "Dig Safe (Word) (PDF)
- Public works projects and engineers -- does our Town need to hire an engineer for "big" projects.
- Outlawing SAND for winter use ????? (Word) (PDF)
- How to Manage your Road Signs (Word) (PDF)
- Contracting for Road Work (Word) (PDF)
- Saving Money and Sand in a Small Town (Word) (PDF)
- Maintaining Local Bridges (Word) (PDF)
- Maine's new "Adopt A Highway" Program (Word) (PDF)
These Publications are free upon request (except as noted). Multiple items may be chosen. Note: the following three publications can be purchased by Credit Card or Check by calling the MDOT Mailroom at 207-624-3220 or downloaded as indicated.
- Maine DOT's Standard Specs for Highway and Bridges free on line December 2002 Update or Hard copy (Price:$10 if picked up in office, $13 if mailed)
- MDOT Standard Details free on line or Hard copy (Price: $20 if picked up in office, $25 if mailed)
- MaineDOT BMP's for Erosion Control free on line or Hard copy ($9 if picked up in office, $13 if mailed)
- MUTCD Manual
- Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) for Streets and Highways: Part I, V and VI only; 2003 Edition, mini book. (Price is $10.00 picked up in office)
Free Publications (PDF Document)
The following link is a list of publications that are free upon request (except as noted). Please indicate the number of copies to the left of the title.
Video Library - Free Videos Loaned from Maine Local Roads Center.
- New Videos
- Meeting the Challenge (MO-21): is meant to provide instruction on proper gravel road maintenance techniques, either as a stand-alone tutorial or as an instructor’s tool to introduce the topics. DVD format only- 22 minutes - you can also view clips of this video (note you need a high speed internet connection for this) at Minnesota LTAP website: http://www.mnltap.umn.edu/resources/videos/GravelRoadMaintenance/
- The Changing Strategies & Technologies of Snowfighting (MO-48) - (This 20 minute, four part video presents research MaineDOT has done with: Road Weather Information Systems, Salt Brine making and use, Salt placement - Centerline vs. Wheel path and Bounce & Scatter. " 7 types of spreaders control tested").
- Digging Dangers V; Taking the Offensive (ST-18) - This video provides excavators the steps to take to avoid damaging underground lines. Working around "marked" lines is discussed as well.
- Seeing is Believing: Safety Exposing Buried Utilities(ST-19) - Ok, the utilities are marked, now how do I safety and efficiently and cost effective ways in damage-free digging. Vacuum systems, trench & trenchless systems as well as hand digging is presented.
- Video Tapes
These videotapes (½ " VHS format) are available at no charge for in-house training from the Maine Local Roads Center. If you have access to a VCR, we will loan you a maximum of two tapes per request for a TWO-WEEK PERIOD.
Newer videos are available in DVD format and are loaned out same as video tapes above you will need to have a DVD player to view.
- Current List of Videos Available
- Other Areas of Interest
Please include your Name, Address, Municipality and Telephone Number for your order. You can order your selections by: phone 207-624-3270, 1-800-498-9133, Fax 207-624-3301, email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Maine Department of Transportation, Bureau of Planning, Community Services Division, 16 State House Station, Augusta, Maine, 04333-0016
MaineDOT Research Reports
This page last updated on