Courts in Maine
Finding a lawyer
Helpful websites and organizations
Maine Law libraries
Mediation and arbitration
yourself in court
Guide to the Maine Courts - Describes
the types of cases heard, the judicial process, how a trial
proceeds, the organization of Maine courts. Targeted to citizens
generally, students, the media, and those who may appear in a
courtroom as a juror, party or witness in a trial.
Contact info and directions to the courts
- Lists of contact info for courts, court offices and justices.
Judicial Branch Homepage
- Official information on Maine courts and judiciary.
- Contact information for U.s. Bankruptcy Courts in Maine.
Claims Court -
A guide to small claims proceedings in District Court in which
the plaintiff is seeking a money judgment of up to $4,500.00.
- Finding a lawyer
For additional sources on locating attorneys by name, state or specialty see our People and Organizations page
- Attorney Directory (Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar) - Maine attorneys admitted to the Bar. Searchable by name, zipcode, bar number, city or county.
Compilation of lawyer licensing databases - LLRX's links to individual state lawyer directories
- Maine Lawyer & Information Referral - Description of and contact information for the Maine State Bar Association's lawyer referral service.
- What if you have a problem with your lawyer? - The American Bar Association discusses mediation, arbitration, lawyer discipline, malpractice, and stolen funds.
Health Care Advance Directives - A description of Maine Law on Health Care Advance Directives,
including a link to the form.
Maine Court Forms (ME Judiciary)
Forms, including Civil and Family Matters, Money Judgment, Protection from Abuse and Harassment, Protective Custody, and Small Claims, are available for download are in PDF format.
Tree Legal List of Court Forms -
Includes Family Law forms, Protection From Abuse, and Protection
From Harassment.and a new version of the interactive child support
worksheet that will automatically get the right amounts from the
child support tables.
- Helpful websites and organizations
- Attorney General's
- A guide to your rights as a consumer on everything from
consumer fraud, new and used cars, home construction, home repairs,
landlord/tenant issues, telemarketing, contracts and much, much more.
- Building a Better Credit Report - Facts for consumers from the Federal Trade Commission. A PDF of the booklet may also be downloaded.
of Elder and Adult Services (DHS)-
FAQS information includes adult protective services, guardianship,
advance directives, power of attorney and Maine Long-Term care
Consumer Credit Counseling Services
Provides Maine consumers with financial counseling, debt repayment
plans, and consumer education. We are a community service, offering
an effective alternative to bankruptcy.
Help ME Law
- Maine legal help resources. Includes a search engine, a legal library of
easy-to-read information about Maine legal topics (Consumer law,
Education, Divorce and child support, Housing, Employment, etc.), helpful organizations and court
Legal Aid Resources In Maine - From the Maine Judicial branch, a list of agencies and the areas of law they provide help for.
Guide For Immigrants to Maine -
Basic information from the Maine Bar Association on a variety of
state and federal topics useful for non-citizens. Also available in Spanish.
Services for the Elderly (ME)
- LSE Provides free, high quality legal assistance to socially and
economically needy Maine residents age 60 and older. Includes client
education material, legal news (scams, for instance) and helpful
Explains the federal bankruptcy process and the common surrounding
issues, including the process, exemptions and alternatives, as
they pertain to Maine residents.
Pine Tree Legal Assistance
Non-profit service organization that provides legal assistance to
low-income Maine residents. Site explains their services and who
qualifies to receive them.
Law libraries in Maine
- The Nathan & Henry B. Cleaves Law Library in Portland is open
24/7 to it's dues-paying members but the public can use it when it
Garbrecht Law Library
A part of the University of Maine School of Law in Portland.
Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library
A public law library serving the people of Maine and the
Legislature. Located in Augusta in the Capitol Building.
Mediation and arbitration
and Mediation (FedLaw)
laws, regulations, procedures and other general information.
- Attorney General's Consumer Mediation Information - Information on the free Consumer Mediation Service offered to Maine consumers who have a problem with a business.
- Information on ADR, which is available through the Maine courts in
domestic relations matters, small claims, larger civil and
commercial cases, land use and environmental disputes and is
mandated in some types of cases.
- An alternative dispute resolution service locator searchable by
role, area of expertise or state.
- Lemon Law Arbitration Program (ME) - If your car is substantially defective and the dealer cannot fix it, you can apply for a free State Lemon Law Arbitration Hearing within two years from the date your car was originally sold and within the manufacturer's warranty coverage period.
Representing yourself in court
- Information on when it is appropriate to represent yourself in
Maine courts and links to additional information.
handbook for pro se litigants (U.S. District Court, District
guide to some of the procedures and standards of practice to be
followed by persons filing suit, without the assistance of an
attorney, in the U.S. District Court.