Elections and politics
Foreign & international law
& Fair Use -
Stanford University Libraries' page containing links categorized
under the headings: Primary materials; Current legislation; cases
and issues; Internet resources, and; Overview of copyright law.
Copyright Clearance Center -
The Center's description of copyright basics, plus link to its home page.
Crash Course In Copyright - A straightforward discussion and tutorial on fair use and digital or multimedia resources. Since it's created by the University of Texas it is tailored towards the academic environment but is still informative for others.
- U.S. Copyright Office - Searchable copyright databases, (1978+), links to publications, copyright basics and FAQS, information on registration, law and policy, and related links to information on patents and trademarks.
Works Pass Into the Public Domain -
A very useful table created by Lolly Gasaway of the University of
- The Justice Department's homepage for the Americans With
Disabilities Act, listing federal resources and publications,
including assistance and compliance manuals and guides.
- An overview of disability law as well as links to relevant
sections in the US Code and Federal Register, recent judicial
decisions, state materials and other key internet sources.
Commission of the States
- Education issues, publications and news from a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization involving
key leaders from all levels of the education system
links (Maine Dept. of Educ.)
- Selections of links to of interest to students, families,
educators and administrators.
education news, hot topics and special reports, plus archived
- The Dept. of Education pulls together the laws, resources, and
other information on equivalent instruction programs (home
- Maine School Management Association - Also provides access to the Maine School Superintendents Association and the Maine School Boards Association.
- Web resources, news headlines, events and PDF publications, as
well as an optional listserv to receive email alerts of developments
in campaign finance.
- State and federal law and recent and historical statistics.
- Century Foundation : Election Reform - News and press releases, task forces, reports and related links.
- News, campaign finance studies and a searchable database of special interest soft money
contributions to the Democratic and Republican national party committees.
Fair Vote: Center for Voting and Democracy - News, voting rights, redistricting and reform articles on proportional representation and instant runoff voting.
- News, candidate and PAC/Party Summaries, campaign finance reports
and data, forms and filing information, campaign finance law and
information on elections and voting.
An independent source of information on campaign contributions in
state politics for reporters, researchers and the general public
from the National Institute on Money In State Politics.
Elections (Sec. of State)
Current Maine elections information, including prior election
tabulations back to 1992. For people's votes on initiatives,
referenda and constitutional amendments, please see the Bills
and Constitution sections on
the Law Library's Maine Law and Legislation webpage.
- On the Issues : Every Political Leader On Every Issue - Information on major policy issues by state and federal leaders and candidates.
- Open Secrets.org : Center For Responsive Politics - A guide to the money in U.S. elections, including news and issues, most expensive races, campaign finance law and contribution limits. Searchable by donor name.
- Project Vote Smart - Comprehensive, non-partisan information on candidates and issues.
U.S. Electoral College - A National Archives site which includes information on how the Electoral College works, how to find electoral votes by state since our first President, FAQs and more elction resources.
- The Electronic Information System for International Law
An open database of authenticated primary and other international
law materials developed, with the support of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, by the American Society of International Law (ASIL).
Divided by topics and includes simple and advanced search features.
searchable database of all the embassies and consulates within the
U.S. and in other countries.
and International Law (WashLaw) -
Primary foreign and international legal resources, research aids,
and sites useful in conducting research in these areas of the law.
Consular Offices in the U.S. -
Links to a complete and official listing of the foreign consular offices in the United States, and recognized consular officers. Compiled by the U.S. Department of
Hague Conference on Private International Law - Search conventions and treaties to find tables of their current ratification status.
Resources by Country (FindLaw)
of The World (Library of Congress)
Thomas provides search capabilities of treaties approved by the
Senate dating back to the 90th Congress.
Treaties In Force (TIF) -U.S. State Department's listing of treaties and other agreements, to which the United Stated governemnt is a party, which are in force.
Nations Treaty Collection
and international law --
Guide to Canadian Legal Research -
Legal web resources, guides and research tips.
Department of Justice
- Federal, provincial and territorial law, including statutes, case
law, regulations and constitution.
Legal Information Institute (CANLII) -
Access to court judgments, tribunal decisions, statutes and regulations from all Canadian jurisdictions.
Legal Research in Canada (LLRX.com) -
A research guide written by Ted Tjaden. Includes active links to
Track federal legislative developments. RSS feeds available.
Legisbrief Index - Index to issue briefs published by the National Conference of State Legislatures created by the Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library and updated as issues are received.
Search by broad topic areas to locate articles, publications, news.
Issues Library -
A broad range of information and policy issues, organized into
topics and sub-topics.
State, 50-state, or regional lists and comparisons of statistics on
a wide variety of subjects.