Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Maine Occupational Research Agenda (MORA)
Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

Bureau of Labor Standards

Third Floor Conference Room

November 12, 2003


Staff Present: Terry Hathaway, Lynne Lamstein, & John Rioux.

Members Present: Brad Brown (Bureau of Insurance), Peter Crockett (MLGH), Sharon D’Orsie (USM), Peter Doran (MIOHE), Carol Eckert (MIOHE), Saskia Janes (Maine Public Health Association), Kim Lim (Bureau of Labor Standards), Dwight Littlefield (Maine Bureau of Health), Heather Mason (Maine Safety Council), Ivan Most (Strategic Occupational Health), Rhonda Surrette (Maine Bureau of Health), Jonathan Torres (WorkMed), Leslie Walleigh (Workplace Health), & Phyllis Wolfe (BIW).

Members Absent: Valerie Carter (Bureau of Labor Education), Denise Dumont (U.S. HealthWorks), Ron Dyer (DEP), Ruth Lawson-Stopps (Occupational Health Associates), Jonathan Lepoff (Consultant), Jeff Levesque (Maine Workers’ Compensation Board), Steve Minkowsky (Maine Workers’ Compensation Board), Louise Morang (MAOHN), & Pat Philbrook (Maine State Nurses Association).

Guest: Betty Dawson (Bureau of Labor Standards).


Peter Doran opened the meeting at 9:05 A.M.

Peter extended a welcome to Phyllis Wolfe (Bath Iron Works). Phyllis works with the Comprehensive Integrated Wellness Program, which she described for the group.

Congratulations are extended to Jeff Levesque, who is out on paternity leave.

Workers’ Compensation Council - Ivan. No report at this time; Ivan will keep pursuing and keep the steering committee updated. Ruth is attending their annual meeting today.

MPHA Presentation - Lynne & Saskia. Leslie, Peter Doran, and Lynne staffed the poster session, MORA: From Research to Practice in Occupational Health and Safety at the annual meeting of the MPHA. This was a good opportunity to bring occupational safety and health into the public health arena. Saskia told the steering committee that there were a lot more occupational safety and health attendees than at any other annual meeting. There were 300 in attendance. Ivan suggested that Dr. Jackson, who is involved in environmental health, be invited to a future MORA meeting.

Prevention Data Advisory Group Update - John. The last meeting of this group was October 22nd. The regular meeting dates will be on the third Wednesday of the month at 9:30 in the First Floor Training Room at the Bureau of Labor Standards. Presentations on prevention efforts were made by Dave Wacker (Bureau of Labor Standards) and Dan Cote (MEMIC). At the next meeting, the topic will be data flow and data use. Paul Fortier (Executive Director of the Workers’ Compensation Board) will discuss EDI (Electronic Data Integration); Jeff Levesque (Maine Workers’ Compensation) will speak on data uses, and John Rioux (Bureau of Labor Standards) will speak on what the Bureau does with the data.

Barefoot Research - Lynne. Lynne had some copies of the publication and also CD’s, Barefoot Research: Workers’ Manual for Organizing Work Security. The publication is well done and workers can do research. It also includes safety and health. This will give the Steering Committee an idea of how to encourage organizations to do research. It is available from the International Labor Organization. The e-mail address is <>; the website is <>. Ses stands for socio-economic security.

Aging Workforce Update - Lynne. Peter Crockett, Ruth, and Lynne are working with the University of Maine, Center on Aging. They are working on a survey this fall for workers and employers regarding the aging workforce. Next year, they will be looking for funding to do more research. Lynne also has attended the Maine Jobs Council meeting regarding seasoned workers. They will be doing a presentation at the Maine Human Resources Conference in May 2004 at the Samoset.

Toxic Exposures Rules and Regulations - Rhonda, Leslie, & Carol. Will be meeting this afternoon. Carol stated that 43 responses have been received from the nurses’ survey. Hopefully, Pat Philbrook (Maine State Nurses Association) will do a second mailing.

Maine Safety Council Conference - Heather. Heather told the group that the annual Maine Safety Council Conference was very well received and that they had received good feedback. There were two keynote speakers and 36 workshops. The MORA presentation received positive feedback and was one of the highest attended workshops. She suggested that the MORA Steering Committee keep the Maine Safety Council Conference Committee apprised of what we are doing. Lynne will send an e-mail to Heather by the end of this year. This will be addressed at next month’s MORA meeting.

Workplace Safety Survey - Heather. The Maine Safety Council was approached by a consulting firm who is doing a workplace safety survey for the Maine Department of Labor. Cards were handed out at the Conference and all of the Maine Safety Council members and e-mail contacts were notified. Lynne explained that the survey is made possible by a grant from OSHA 21(d). The purpose of the survey is to improve the services for small businesses in Maine. The results will be in a public report. Heather offered the Maine Safety Council to partner with the Maine Department of Labor on items, which Labor may not be able to handle.

Approval of October 8, 2003 Minutes. Ivan made a motion to accept the minutes of the October 8th meeting. Carol seconded. Vote, unanimous.

"Future of MORA Brainstorming" Session - Heather. Heather handed out an Operative Document put together from the brainstorming session. The purpose of the Operative Document is to determine where MORA is going in the future. Discussion consisted of recommendations for changes to the document. Heather will make the changes and will discuss this further at our next meeting. Heather will contact Ivan and Kim regarding Market Analysis as well as contact Ivan for Situation Analysis. Saskia explained that a "vision" is where we want to be ultimately; a "mission statement" is how we get there. Kim suggested that when the Operative Document is done, that we mail it to the original "2000 Summit" group for their input. Heather suggested that the "minutes" e-mail list be expanded and also include an open invitation for those folks to attend the meetings. By Feburary 2004, the six (6) priority areas task forces will have one-page summaries of where they are and where they are going. Terry will send them the timeline included in the "Procedure for Setting the Maine Occupational Research Agenda".

MORA Leadership Nominating Report - Jeff & Jonathan L. Tabled to next meeting.

Conference 2005 Planning. Kim handed out a page from NIOSH, listing the topics. The steering committee agreed to go with 1000.1 Disease and Injury and 1000.2 Work Environment and Workforce. The deadline is January 6, 2004. If we get the grant, then we can proceed for the 2005 Conference. Members of MORA will need to take a more active role by soliciting folks from these topic areas. Kim will contact Leslie Ingraham, University of New England, for a possible location in May 2005.

Next Meeting. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 9:00 AM in the Third Floor Conference Room, Bureau of Labor Standards. Refreshments will be available.

Respectfully submitted,


Terry M. Hathaway