Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Maine Occupational Research Agenda (MORA)
Steering Committee Meeting
Minutes

Bureau of Labor Standards

Third Floor Conference Room

January 14, 2004

 

Staff Present: Terry Hathaway & John Rioux.

Staff Absent: Lynne Lamstein.

Members Present: Peter Doran (MIOHE), Ron Dyer (DEP), Ruth Lawson- Stopps (Occupational Health Associates), Jeff Levesque (Maine Workers’ Compensation Board), Kim Lim (Bureau of Labor Standards), Rhonda Surette (Maine Bureau of Health), & Leslie Walleigh (Workplace Health).

Members Absent: Brad Brown (Bureau of Insurance), Valerie Carter (Bureau of Labor Education), Peter Crockett (MLGH),Sharon D’Orsie (USM), Denise Dumont (U.S. HealthWorks), Carol Eckert (MIOHE), Saskia Janes (Maine Public Health Association), Jonathan Lepoff (Consultant), Dwight Littlefield (Maine Bureau of Health), Heather Mason (Maine Safety Council), Steve Minkowsky (Maine Workers’ Compensation Board), Louise Morang (MAOHN), Ivan Most (Strategic Occupational Health), Pat Philbrook (Maine State Nurses Association), Jonathan Torres (WorkMed), & Phyllis Wolfe (BIW).

Guest: Desi-Rae Grady (Bureau of Labor Standards).

 

Peter Doran, Chair, opened the meeting at 9:12 A.M.

Peter announced that Desi-Rae Grady will be added to the MORA staff listing.

Approval of December 10, 2003 Minutes. Ron Dyer made a motion to approve the minutes of the December 10, 2003. Kim Lim seconded the motion. Vote, unanimous.

2005 Symposium Planning Update. Kim presented a compilation of positive responses to his inquiries regarding the 2005 Symposium. He is looking for more contacts, especially in Maine. The Letter of Intent for the grant application has been sent out. Kim is looking for feedback and will get together with Lynne and set up a committee as UNE (University of New England) has committed support for the 2005 Symposium.

MORA Leadership Nominating Report. Jeff presented a list of Requirements for MORA Chair. Jeff asked for feedback on the requirements. Included in the requirements is the role of the chair - the group decided that the role of the chair would be to facilitate the meetings. Also, the chair should be someone who can be insulated as this is a small group. Another issue brought up is that the group should have a policy to designate a spokesperson on particular issues. A suggestion was made that perhaps there could be a chair and a vice-chair. After further discussion, the following nominations were made: Ron Dyer, Carol Eckert, Lynne Lamstein, Jonathan Lepoff, Jeff Levesque, Kim Lim, Ivan Most, John Rioux, Jonathan Torres, and Leslie Walleigh. Jeff will contact these folks and will report back at our February 11, 2004 meeting, when a vote and selection will be made.

Rhonda Surette announced that she has a new job in environmental health at the Department of Human Services, which will probably not be related to the MORA mission.

Other. Peter Doran shared with the group "The Nation’s Health", a newsletter from the American Public Health Association. They are looking for presentations at their November 2004 Conference to be held in Washington DC. The theme is Environmental Health this year. The deadline for presentations is February. Peter suggested that MORA could submit the 2003 MORA Conference presentation. Jeff Levesque made a motion to submit this. Ruth Lawson-Stopps, seconded. Vote, unanimous. Peter and Lynne will work on an abstract draft for submission.

Peter Doran will invite Norm Anderson of the American Lung Association of Maine (ALAM) to update the steering committee on progress in drafting the occupational asthma action plan.

Future of MORA. As Heather was absent, the Operative Document Discussion and Task Force Summaries and Guidelines were tabled to our February meeting.

The group discussed the steering committee role. Peter described the origin of MORA and the Steering Committee. Ruth explained that the MORA Steering Committee deals with research issues and concerns of occupational health and safety in Maine. Also handed out, was the MORA Agenda, Research & Process Chart. The Steering Committee discussed forming relationships with the other groups dealing with occupational safety and health; such as the Occupational Safety and Health Data Collection and Injury Prevention Group. It was suggested that these groups could adopt a communications standard and post minutes on the web. Ruth Lawson-Stopps made a motion that Bill Peabody be approached regarding this. Jeff Levesque, seconded. Vote, unanimous.

A question was raised regarding members who only attend three or four of the MORA Steering Committee meetings per year; should they stay on the committee? This question will be addressed at our February meeting along with various categories of membership and participation.

Ivan will present the structure of NORA.

Next Meeting. The next meeting of the MORA Steering Committee will be held Wednesday, February 11, 2004 from 9:00 AM to Noon in the Third Floor Conference Room, Bureau of Labor Standards.

Adjournment. Chair Peter Doran adjourned the meeting at 11:49 AM.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Terry M. Hathaway