Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help





Maine Occupational Research Agenda (MORA) Meeting

Bureau of Labor Standards

Third Floor Conference Room

April 14, 2004


Staff Present: Desi-Rae Grady, Terry Hathaway, & John Rioux.


Staff Absent: Lynne Lamstein


Members Present: Peter Doran (MIOHE), Sharon D’Orsie (USM), Ron Dyer (DEP), Carol Eckert (MIOHE), Jeff Levesque (Maine Workers’ Compensation Board), Kim Lim (Bureau of Labor Standards), Ivan Most (Strategic Occupational Health), Jonathan Torres (WorkMed), & Leslie Walleigh (Workplace Health).


Members Absent:  Brad Brown (Bureau of Insurance), Valerie Carter (Bureau of Labor Education), Peter Crockett (MLGH), Denise Dumont (U.S. HealthWorks), Saskia Janes (Maine Public Health Association), Ruth Lawson-Stopps (Occupational Health Associates), Jonathan Lepoff (Consultant), Dwight Littlefield (Maine Bureau of Health), Heather Mason (Maine Safety Council), Steve Minkowsky (Maine Workers’ Compensation Board), Louise Morang (MAOHN), Pat Philbrook (Maine State Nurses Association).


Guests: Norm Anderson (American Lung Association of Maine); Steve Laundrie (Maine Bureau of Labor Standards).



Ivan Most, Chair, opened the meeting at 9:05 A.M.




Approval of March 10, 2004 Minutes.  Ron Dyer made a motion to accept the minutes. Peter Doran, seconded. Vote, unanimous.


Introductions were made, as two guests were present.


On behalf of MORA, Ivan Most presented Peter Doran a mini rose bush to thank him for his work as Chair of MORA.


Doctoral Thesis. Mike Sheldon, Associate Professor and Director of the Department of Physical Therapy at the University of New England, Biddeford, presented “Proposed Research Initiative Collaboration, Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders”.  He handed out a one-page summary and reviewed it. Mr. Sheldon is looking forward to networking with MORA and is interested in becoming a part of the group.



Open Forum - Exchange on Conferences, Research, Doctoral Thesis, Etc.

 MORA Contact

 Title of Event

Sponsoring  Organization

Location & Date

 Ivan Most

 Open House

 University of Mass @ Lowell

 Lowell, MA 4/13/04


Meeting with Commissioner May 13, 2004 - Ivan Most. Ivan Most suggested MORA members suggest key points for discussion with the Commissioner at the next MORA meeting. One point is what can MORA do to pick up where the Commission left off? Peter Doran suggested another item; MORA’s relationship with the Bureau of Labor Standards and how can MORA continue to maintain this relationship in the name of research. Members were encouraged to bring suggestions to the May 12th MORA meeting.


Asthma White Paper. Norm Anderson (ALAM) handed out the latest draft of the “White Paper on Work Related Asthma in Maine”. The purpose of this white paper is to outline aplan for establishing a work related asthma program in Maine. Mr. Anderson stated that the American Lung Association of Maine has gone as far as it can go. The Bureau of Health will lead at this time. Leslie Walleigh and Dwight Littlefield will coordinate. ALAM may be able to assist with funding regarding focus groups, pilot projects, etc.


Ivan Most met with Dan Cote (MEMIC). MEMIC is currently focused on small contractors (primarily, home builders), who have acute injuries. Perhaps MORA would be interested in focusing on the safety issue. Jeff Levesque said that OSHA has the same concerns, so he will connect Bill Freeman (OSHA) with Dan. Also, this could be a part of the Cost Driver research priority. Jeff Levesque will work with John Rioux regarding injuries among older workers.


Conference 2005 Planning. Ivan Most, Carol Eckert, and Peter Doran are willing to be a part of the Conference Committee along with Kim Lim, Desi-Rae Grady, and Lynne Lamstein. Kim will recirculate the document, “MORA OSH Symposium Special Population 2005, May 25th & 26th, UNE, Biddeford. The Conference Committee will meet and provide an update at the next meeting.


Kim Lim said that in June MORA will know if there is funding from NIOSH for the 2005 Symposium.


If any MORA members know of any contacts regarding the special populations, please make contact with them and let Kim Lim know. The primary interest is speakers from Maine.


Kim Lim will be attending a Northeast Conference in May & will be talking to folks there about the 2005 MORA Symposium.


Peter Doran will contact Earl Dodder to see if he will do a photographic exhibit at the 2005 Symposium. As a result of the last MORA Symposium, MEMIC has contracted with Earl Dodder.


Kim Lim handed out a brochure entitled, “Occupational Injury and Illness Data Profiles” as well as the “Workers’ Comp Wheel”. Both are available, free of charge, from the Bureau of Labor Standards.


Operative Document.  A revised draft of the Operative Document was handed out. MORA concentrated on the objectives and rated the top two groups by a consensus of those present. The first grouping is Group #4: Evaluation and implementation of research projects, development of action plans by six areas of interest task forces, and periodically evaluate priority areas. The second is Group #1: Disseminate information, communicate successes, and education/communication dissemination.


Ivan Most will contact Heather Mason to see if she can continue with the Operative Document; if not, then Ivan will ask Saskia Janes.


The Operative Document will be the main focus of the May meeting.


Prevention Data Advisory Group Update - Dirigo Data. John Rioux explained that the March 17th meeting had been cancelled due to the weather. The next meeting will be held Wednesday, April 21, 2004. John will be absent, so Peter Doran and Leslie Walleigh will provide the update for the next MORA meeting.


Next Meeting - May 12, 2004 - Agenda. The next meeting of the MORA Steering Committee will be held Wednesday, May 12, 2004 from 9:00 AM to Noon in the Third Floor Conference Room, Bureau of Labor Standards. The following items will be on the agenda for the May meeting:


            I. Approval of April 14, 2004 Minutes                       Ivan Most

            II. Operative Document                                                Heather Mason (???)

            III. Prevention Data Advisory Group Update                       Peter Doran & Leslie Walleigh

            IV. Key Issues for Meeting with Commissioner         Ivan Most

            V. 2005 Conference Committee Update                       Kim Lim

VI. Open Forum



Adjournment. Chair Ivan Most adjourned the meeting at 11:57 AM.


Respectfully submitted,

Terry M. Hathaway