Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

 

 

Maine Occupational Research Agenda (MORA)
Steering Committee Meeting
Minutes

Bureau of Labor Standards

Third Floor Conference Room

April 9, 2003

 

Staff Present: Terry Hathaway, Lynne Lamstein, & John Rioux.

Members Present:), Denise Dumont (U.S. HealthWorks), Ron Dyer (DEP), Carol Eckert (MIOHE), Ruth Lawson-Stopps (Occupational Health Associates), Jonathan Lepoff (Consultant), Jeff Levesque (Maine Workersí Compensation Board), Louise Morang (MAOHN), Ivan Most (Strategic Occupational Health), & Leslie Walleigh (Workplace Health).

Members Absent: Brad Brown (Bureau of Insurance), Peter Crockett (MLGH), Peter Doran (MIOHE), Brenda Joly (Maine Center for Public Health), Kim Lim (Bureau of Labor Standards), Steve Minkowsky (Maine Workers Compensation Board), Pat Philbrook (Maine State Nurses Association), Andy Smith (Bureau of Health), Jonathan Torres (WorkMed), & Castine Verrill (Maine Cancer Registry).

Guests: Rhonda Surette (Bureau of Health).

 

Lynne Lamstein opened the meeting at 9:10 A.M. and turned the meeting over to Ivan Most, who was chairing the meeting as Peter Doran was unable to be present.

Rhonda Surette was welcomed as a guest.

Approval of March 13, 2003 Minutes. After discussion of the minutes, Jonathan Lepoff made a motion to approve the minutes with the following changes: Lynne Lamstein was not present at the last meeting and Louise Morangís affiliation should be changed from WorkMed to MAOHN. Leslie Walleigh seconded the motion. Vote, unanimous.

Membership Listing. Dan Cote will be removed from the steering committee until further notice. Jeff Levesque will be added to the membership list. Rhonda Surette may be replacing Andy Smith.

MORA Letterhead. The steering committee decided that the MORA letterhead should be changed. After discussion by the steering committee, Jonathan Lepoff made a motion to use the logo as it appears on the symposium brochure and add contact information, including the website, to the footer. It was also suggested that the names of the Bureau of Labor Standards staff be removed; Kim Lim will remain listed on the letterhead as he is a member of the steering committee. Leslie Walleigh seconded the motion. Vote, unanimous.

Conference 2003 Update. Lynne gave an update on sponsorship contributions (two received: WorkMed and MAOHN). Ivan suggested that thank you letters be sent to the sponsors prior to the Conference. Lynne announced that there are 73 presenters for the Conference and 23 paid participants. Ruth stated that Dan Cote has agreed to send out 1,000 conference brochures. If you havenít registered, be sure to fill out the form and give to Lynne or mail directly to Leslie at UNE. Lynne requested a short paragraph from each member leading one of the six (6) topic areas. If anyone is using power point for their presentation on topic areas, please e-mail slides to Lynne so she can put it all on one disk. The Governor is speaking at the 2nd day of the conference, after Glenn Pransky. The Commissioner of the Department of Labor has been invited to speak.

Ivan suggested that voice contact be made with all speakers. Research facilitators, Lynne, and Leslie (UNE) will work on it.

Ruth will be doing the welcome for both days of the conference. Peter Doran will introduce Earl Dotter and present the MORA discussion.

Ivan suggested that as an agenda item for the May meeting that folks present a rundown of their conference sessions.

Ruth thanked Lynne and Kim for all the work they have done for the steering committee.

CDC/BOH Program on Lung Indicators and Database of Maine Indoor Air Quality Researchers. Ivan told the steering committee that the BOH received a grant from CDC on lung indicators. The BOH has been working with ALAM to establish a forum on indoor air quality for May 2004. This forum will be specifically for invited researchers. Folks on the steering committee can let Ivan know if they are interested in attending as he is compiling a list.

L.D. 398. Jeff stated that this L.D. left the Labor Committee, ought to pass, with several amendments. Jeff will ask Steve to send a summary of what has happened to this L.D.

Update on Cost Drivers Pilot Project. Jeff handed out a summary, Top 100 Preliminary Findings, and reported his findings. There were 91 files for review and not all files were completed. Jeff also discussed closed claims, general observations, and results (age, gender, claim status, cost, NOCís, and surgery). Ivan suggested that further research be done with reports similar to this.

After a short break, Lynne took over the meeting as Ivan had to leave early.

Draft of Memorandum of Understanding between MORA and ALAM. After a discussion of changes, Lynne will send the suggested changes to Peter. Lynne will see that the steering committee is e-mailed a revised copy of the Memorandum of Understanding with a deadline for comments in an attempt to finalize this before the next meeting.

MORAís future (organizational structure and membership). Tabled until after the conference.

The steering committee agreed that our June meeting would encompass a review of the conference and discussion of MORA.

Next Meeting. The next meeting of the MORA Steering Committee will be held on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 from 9:00 AM to Noon in the third floor conference room, Bureau of Labor Standards, Hallowell Annex.

Lynne adjourned the meeting at 11:15 AM.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry M. Hathaway