Income Tax Information for Individuals who Collected Unemployment

You are required to report earnings from unemployment insurance benefits paid to you during a calendar year when you file your Federal and State Income Tax forms.

If you received unemployment benefits last year, you will be mailed a statement (form 1099G) by January 30th.

You can also look up information on your unemployment payments and withholdings online.

You do not need to have form 1099G to file your income taxes electronically.

Payment and Withholding Information Online

If you don't have your 1099G form, you can get information on your payments and withholdings online. You will need to enter your social security number and pin and click on the "General Information" button. Look-up information on benefits paid to you last year.

Total Benefits Paid: The total amount of unemployment benefits paid to you before voluntary income taxes were withheld and before deductions for overpayments or child support were taken. The amount stated may be taxable income to you.

Federal Income Tax Withheld: The amount of Federal Income Taxes you had withheld from your unemployment benefits.

Maine Income Tax Withheld: The amount of Maine Income Taxes you had withheld from your unemployment benefits.

Other Withholding: Includes withholdings for child support or overpayment offsets.

Benefits Repaid to Labor Department: The amount of benefits repaid to the Labor Department as a result of an overpayment.

Other Tax Tips

Report Payer's Name as: 'Maine Department of Labor' - address is Bureau of Unemployment Compensation, 47 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333

Report Payer's Federal Identification Number as: 01-0371164

ATAA Payments - Payments of less than $600 under the Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance for Older Workers Demonstration Project are not issued a 1099G.

For More Information

The Maine Department of Labor can not answer questions about your actual tax liability for unemployment benefits. IRS Topic 418 provides information on unemployment payments and you can find additional instructions in your Federal or State Income Tax Booklets. Contact the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040 or the Maine Revenue Services Income Tax Call Center at 207-626-8475 for further assistance.