Warden Service History
The Maine Warden Service dates back to 1880, when the first wardens were appointed to enforce laws giving Maine's moose and deer their first legal protection. The service's first enforcement action occurred on March 12, 1880 when two men were apprehended for killing a doe in closed season.
From this modest beginning, the Maine Warden Service now has a complement of 124 uniformed members and is the largest of three bureaus in the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife. The main headquarters is located in Augusta and three divisions with a varying number of districts. Division headquarters are located in Gray, Greenville, and Ashland. Each division is administered and supervised by a Lieutenant and sectional Sergeants. Warden districts cover the entire state; they are generally geographically smaller in southern Maine where the population is higher, and larger in the more sparsely populated Northern sections.
Today, the Maine Warden Service is a modern, professional, highly effective law enforcement agency. Members are certified law enforcement officers who use state-of-the-art equipment, including four-wheel drive trucks, boats, snowmobiles, ATV's, personal computers, a two-way radio repeater network, portable radios, GPS, forensic mapping equipment, fixed wing aircraft, and night vision equipment, in carrying out their responsibilities. In addition, the service maintains its own forensic laboratory, Dive team, K-9 unit, Firearms Team, Forensic Mapping Team, ERT Team, and aircraft division. These aircraft enable Wardens to patrol remote sections of their assigned districts, effectively respond to emergency situations, participate in fish stocking, conduct angler surveys, and oversee boating activity.
Honoring The Past, Cherishing The Present, Planning For The Future.
Warden Service Museum - Gray, Maine
Please visit our newly renovated Warden Service museum located at the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray. Opened April 15th, 2010.