Trapping Licenses

Trapping License Fees



  • Nonresident Trapping License (10 years and older) - $317.00
  • Apprentice Trapping License (16 years and older) - $317.00
  • Bear Trapping License (10 years and older) - $67.00

Trapping License Application PDF

To view the PDF document, you will need the free Adobe Reader. If you need assistance, view our PDF Help page, email us or call us at (207) 287-8000.

Who needs a trapping license?

Except for certain landowners and children, everyone must have the appropriate trapping license before going out to trap or before going out to help another person who is trapping. (An unlicensed person may accompany a trapper only as an observer.)

Do I need to take a trapper education course?

When you apply for any Maine trapping license (except a junior trapping license), you must show proof of having successfully completed a state-approved trapper education course or show proof of having held an adult trapping license (in Maine or any other state, province or country) since 1978.

There is an affidavit available for individuals who don't have proof of a previous adult trapping license or completion of a trapper education course, that can filled out and notorized. See Affidavit.

For information on trapping laws and rules, see current hunting law book.

Which trapping license do I need? Also see bear trapping license below.

If you are a Maine resident under 10 years old, you may trap without a license, except that a person under 10 years of age is not allowed to trap bear.

If you are a Maine resident who is at least 10 but less than 16 years old, you must have a junior trapping license (see resident landowner below). (Note: A junior trapping license issued to a 15 year old is good for the entire year regardless of when the person turns 16.)

If you are a Maine resident who is 16 years of age or older, you must have a resident trapping license (see resident landowner below).

Resident landowners, and immediate family members, may trap (except for beaver) without a trapping license on their own land IF they actually live on that land AND the land is used only for agricultural purposes. (If you trap for beaver, you must have a trapping license.)

If you are a nonresident, regardless of age, you must have a nonresident trapping license. (Note: Nonresidents are not allowed to trap for beaver.)

If you are a nonresident who is not a citizen of the United States (nonresident alien), you are not allowed to trap in Maine.

Apprenticeship Trapping License: An apprentice trapper means a resident or a nonresident 16 years of age or older who has never held a valid adult trapping license in this State, or any other state, province or country, is eligible to obtain an apprentice trapping license. Also, they may obtain an apprentice trapper license without having successfully completed a trapper safety course, but they may not obtain an apprentice trapper license more than twice. An adult supervisor would be responsible for ensuring that the holder of the apprenticeship license follows safe trapping protocol and the laws. "Adult supervisor" for and apprentice trapper means that they must be 18 years of age or older and holds or has held a valid trapping license for the prior 3 consecutive years to be qualified to supervise the apprentice trapper. For more information, see Apprenticeship Trapper License.

Bear Trapping License

A bear trapping license is required in addition to a regular trapping license, for all trappers (10 years of age and older) to trap bear during the bear trapping season.

Serviceman Trapping License

Maine military personnel who are on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and permanently stationed outside Maine may purchase a trapping license for $3.00. Applicant must provide proof that their home of record is Maine. Spouse and dependent children who reside with that person may obtain a trapping license for $10.00.

Where can I get a trapping license?

Currently all trapping licenses are issued from the Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Office in Augusta, 284 State Street, 41 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333. The Department will no longer be mailing out trapping applications as part of a cost-saving measure. You can download the trapping application, print, and mail to:

Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
284 State Street
41 SHS
Augusta, ME 04333-0041

How long does a trapping license remain valid?

A trapping license remains valid from July 1st through June 30th of the following year.