Safety and Education

Do you need to take an outdoor safety course to obtain your license for firearms, archery, crossbow or trapping?

Would you like to learn how to safely operate a snowmobile, ATV or boat?

Maine law requires completion to obtain your adult license unless you have previously done so or have held an adult license.

Hunters and trappers in Maine must attend training courses specific to the license type they wish to purchase. By state law, anyone planning to buy a basic hunting license, archery license, crossbow license, or trapping license, must complete the respective hunter, archery, crossbow, or trapper education course. Individuals may purchase each of these licenses by showing a certificate of completion from the appropriate course, or a previously issued license of the same type.

If you would like to refresh your knowledge of safe and responsible hunting, then taking a hunter education course is a great idea.

Each year, the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife provides more than 350 courses on hunting with firearms, bow and arrow, and trapping. These are attended by roughly 7,500 students and taught by over 800 volunteer instructors trained by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.

In order to operate an ATV under 16 years of age, you must complete an approved ATV Safety Course.

The Recreational Safety Division provides approximately 200 courses to about 2,500 students per year for people who want to learn about the safe operation of snowmobiles, boats, or ATV's. Boating safety courses are also provided by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliaries and by U.S. Power Squadrons around the state.