Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home > Meetings > October 10, 2007

October 10, 2007


  1. Review Minutes of September 9 Meeting
  2. USGS National Geospatial Program Office Overview by Dan Walters
  3. Update On OIT GIS Databases by David Kirouac
  4. GIS Web Services Committee Update


Members Present

Nancy Armentrout, OIT-DOT

Seth Barker DMR

Victor Chakravarty - OIT-OCIO

David Kirouac, Chair, OIT-MEGIS

Don Katnik IF&W

Christopher Kroot, OIT-DEP

Marc Loiselle - MGS

Dan Walters, USGS



Agenda Item #1: Review Minutes of the September 9 Meeting

Outcome: The minutes were unanimously approved without any modification.


Agenda Item #2: USGS National Geospatial Program Office Overview by Dan Walters

Dan will forward a soft-copy of his MS PowerPoint presentation and his master communication plan. Dan presented several interesting facts, such as, the distinction between the National Map (patchwork quilt) and the National Atlas (uniform scale), local authorities being the authoritative sources for local data, incentive-based partnerships by USGS on specific data-set projects, etc. Christopher asked Dan if USGS provided funding for web-mapping services. Dan replied that yes, USGS would be open to such partnerships, but State and/or Local authorities need to initiate the process with a proposal consistent with their strategic plans. Seth asked if Dan worked directly with NOAA. Dan replied that he was indeed reaching out to other Federal partners performing GIS work in Maine , such as the OMB Geospatial Line-of-business initiative, etc. He mentioned the USGS Click (Lidar) initiative, and other such programs discoverable via the USGS Geospatial One Stop. Don Katnik asked Dan if there existed any Federal assistance for storing the increasing volumes of image data. Dan replied that there was indeed an RFI underway. Christopher pointed out the superior performance of the ESRI Image Server in this context compared to native Oracle storage. Dan mentioned that under certain circumstances, USGS has supported the acquisition of such a server. Seth asked if Dan worked with the Department of Homeland Security. Dan replied yes. Dan also mentioned USGS assistance with critical structures data sets and the stewardship of geographical names. Christopher raised the issue of the displayed date on image data being years downstream of the capture date of such data. Dan welcomed feedback from the Stakeholders re: his communication. Dan also mentioned that he now has more freedom in interfacing with the Legislature.

Outcome: Dan will forward his powerpoint presentation to the GIS Stakeholders.


Agenda Item #3: Update On OIT GIS Databases by David Kirouac

The outage review meeting did not take place, but work was underway to split the vector data from the imagery. The vector data will be retained in a database with the current connection information, while the imagery will be separated to a different database. Most of the vector data has already been migrated, however, some of the more dynamic vector data sets will have to be migrated again. David sought feedback on how best to communicate the migration/cutover plan. The consensus recommendation was to provide advance notification ASAP to the Stakeholders and the AITDs, and then follow it up with more specifics as the cutover date approaches. David estimates that the cutover will take place around Thanksgiving. Christopher kindly offered a DEP script that repoints .mxd links. David also pointed out the necessity of updating ArcIMS projects and custom projects (such as SWIMS). David is already working with Desktop Services to update the desktop connections for ArcCatalog, ArcMap, etc. Don asked about the rest of the Downeast and Mid-Maine 2-foot ortho imagery. Dan stated that the National Geospatial Intelligence Tier C border data and the Farm Services Agency leaf-on 1-meter color data sets will be available by winter. Christopher again raised the issue of the ESRI Image Server. David replied that he did some research a few years back but had not undertaken any recent research. Perhaps we could draft a proposal, either for USGS and/or the next Legislative session.

Outcome: David Kirouac will email the GIS Stakeholders, AITDs, and other SDE users about the upcoming database changes and follow up with additional information. DEP has volunteered to make their .mxd repoint script available to other agencies. ESRI Image Server should be visited as an item of discussion at a future meeting.


Agenda Item #5: GIS Web Services Committee Update

Don Katnik distributed the latest Charter draft. (The soft-copy will be distributed later.) There was some discussion on the role of InforME in view of the next contract. It was concluded that the consequential change will be the availability of both Java and .NET hosting environments by InforME. The low-level mapping service proposed to be provided by InforME via the UMN MapServer is of marginal relevance to the Stakeholders. There was a spirited discussion on the role of the Web Services Committee, as well as the forum to consider non-Web Services technical matters. The consensus was that the Web Services Committee will serve as advisors to the CTO re: hardware, software, common tools, rate structure, standards, governance, etc., for GIS Web Services. Given that the technology is still relatively new and unfamiliar, it's critical that we get started on the right foot. Don reiterated the importance of arriving at a comprehensive roadmap for agencies to take a GIS Web Services project from concept to implementation. Dan mentioned the continued relevance of the IMS Standards & Guidelines, as well as the web application proposal meta-data collection application. Christopher provided a short update on the DEP's successful use of Google tools for many DEP projects. These projects are showcased at

Outcome: The GIS Web Services Committee will meet on November 1 to discuss/finalize it's charter and begin work outlined in the charter.