Fire Sprinkler Permit Fee Schedule
Make checks payable to: "Treasurer, State of Maine"
- $1/ fire sprinkler head in new systems/ additions to existing systems. (This includes all new heads.)
- $.50/ relocated fire sprinkler head. (This applies only to existing heads being reused.)
- $100 for each fire pump installation, where the fire pump is listed for fire service. This does not apply to Hydro-Pro, Maine Life Safety, and NFPA 13D systems. It also does not apply to NFPA 13R standards when the pump is not listed for fire service such as small pumps as outlined in our small pump policy, (found on our website under "Fire Pumps" under "Design & Installation Issues".)
- $25/ dwelling unit of each NFPA 13D system regardless of the number of fire sprinkler heads.
- $50 extra for preliminary permission to begin installation before the full submittal can be received. Typically the full submittal is received in 1 to 3 weeks. Should the full submittal not come for 6 months, and there is no communication for an extension request or reasonable explanation for the delay, then the job will be cancelled. The money will not be returned. Court action with fines may be applicable if installation work was started, and in particular if it was completed.
- $100 minimum. This $100 minimum is not added to the cost of heads when the cost of heads adds up to at least $100. The cost of the heads is conversely not added to the $100 minimum when the total cost of the heads is less than $100. For example 87 heads would cost $100, and a job with 115 heads would cost $115. The $100 minimum does not apply to NFPA 13D systems, which are $25 per dwelling unit regardless of the number of heads used.
(Permits are not required for maintenance replacement of heads, including recall programs, where there is no increase in pipe length. Plan reviews won't begin until the appropriate fee is received in the correct amount.)
Any commercial or industrial installation over $1,000,000.00 shall require review by a fire protection Engineer at additional expense to the fire sprinkler contractor.
Please call 207-626-3889 or email at email@example.com if there are any questions.
[Last updated 1-3-12 by eliminating the Archive Fee and also the Resubmittal Fee and by giving examples for the $100 minimum fee and clarifying that now in renovation work the heads only count toward the 20-head minimum that triggers the requirement for a permit when there is an increase in pipe length. It used to be "change in pipe length". Previously updated 1-1-08]