Home → Special Populations
The Maine Department of Education is committed to shaping an education system that meets the needs of all learners, and providing additional support to those who require it.
- Special Education. Ensuring that students with special needs succeed in their learning.
- At-Risk Students. Providing the additional boost some students need to succeed.
- English Learners. Providing English language services to some of Maine's newest students.
- Gifted & Talented. Helping students who excel maximize their learning and reach their potential.
- Homeless Students. Minimizing educational disruptions for students without a permanent home.
- Migrant Students. Maine's Migrant Education Program identifies eligible migrant children throughout the state and aims to provide them with the educational services they require to earn a high school diploma. The migrant education program works closely with other migrant service programs to coordinate services.
- Military Families. Making school transfers easier for relocating military families.
- State Wards & Agency Clients. Ensuring children in state care receive the educational services to which they're entitled.