Home → School Improvement Grants
School Improvement Grants
Each year, starting in 2009-10, the Maine Department of Education names schools to the School Improvement Grant (SIG) eligibility list, making them eligible to apply for significant SIG funds for the coming three years under a federal program. The schools meet a series of detailed criteria, established by federal guidelines, and have experienced below average proficiency and growth on State testing.
In 2012-13, the Maine DOE named 11 schools to the SIG eligibility list.
- State awards Lewiston’s Montello Elementary $1.8 million for school improvement. Press release published June 27, 2013.
- Lewiston's School Improvement Grant Application
- 2012-13 School Improvement Grants Eligibility List. Eleven Maine schools were named to the eligibility list.
- 2012-13 School Achievement and Progress List (XLS, 198KB). This list was used to determine the SIG eligibility list.
- Methodology & the School Achievement and Progress List. To develop the list of 11 schools, the Department first created a School Achievement and Progress list based on the last three years of testing data and the amount of progress made. Read about the methodology and view the School Achievement and Progress list for all applicable schools in the state.
- 2010-11 SIG
- 2009-10 SIG
The following notice was sent to superintendents on January 21, 2014:
This communication serves as notice that the Maine Department of Education intends to submit an application to the U. S. Department of Education for Title I School Improvement Grants (SIG) program authorized by section 1003(g) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA). This application identifies eligible SAU’s as those with schools identified as Priority schools under Maine’s approved ESEA Accountability waiver and includes a request for waivers on behalf of all applicable SAUs. Comments related to this application and request for waivers should be sent to Rachelle Tome, Chief Academic Officer at email@example.com. Comments will be accepted through Friday, January 31, 2014.
The Maine Department of Education will be providing additional guidance to eligible SAUs following approval of Maine’s application for Title I School Improvement Grants (SIG) program. If you have any questions regarding the Title I School Improvement Grant (SIG) program, please contact Rachelle Tome at 624-6705 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chief Academic Officer