Standards & Instruction
As part of the Maine Department of Education’s commitment to supporting schools in the delivery of effective K-12 science and technology instructional programs, this page provides links to resources to support implementation of Maine’s science and technology academic standards.
- Maine Learning Results. Maine’s current science and technology standards are included in the Maine Learning Results, which have been updated to include the Common Core State Standards in mathematics and English language arts.
- Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). NGSS defines the science concepts and content students will need to learn to be successful in the workforce, economy and society of the coming decades. These standards have not yet been adopted in Maine, but the State was a leader in their development.
- Education Evolving: Maine’s Plan for Putting Learner’s First. Maine's strategic plan that sets objectives and action steps for building an education system that meets the needs of all learners, from early childhood into adulthood, and prepares them for college, careers and civic life.
- Instruction & Curriculum. School districts make decisions about the identification of instructional strategies and the development of curriculum that will support students in demonstrating the performance expectations established in the Maine Learning Results. This page provides links to materials that can assist schools in their efforts.
- Maine DOE Data Warehouse. Use the statewide longitudinal data system to help inform instruction based on data-driven decisions.
- Additional National Standards for Science, Engineering & Technology Resources. A collection of publications and links which identify standards, instruction and assessment resources for science education.