The Maine Department of Education is committed to helping all students remain safe in Maine's science classrooms.
Regulations & Information
Several federal government agencies have rules that impact school laboratory safety. Currently work is being done to create a simpler, more coherent set of reference materials for educators. In the interim, schools may reference the following documents.
- Hazardous Chemicals in Our Schools (PDF, 111KB). This report is from Maine's Joint Standing Committee on National Resources.
- Hazardous Waste/Universal Waste. The Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) offers laws, rules and information regarding the handling of hazardous and universal waste.
- Labs for the 21st Century. This website, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, is designed to help improve the environmental performance of all U.S. laboratories.
- School Chemistry Laboratory Safety Guide (PDF). From the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- America’s Lab Report. An examination of laboratory experiences as part of most U.S. secondary school science curricula including sections on lab safety and design.
- National Science Teachers Association Safety Portal: Safety in the Science Classroom. A collection of safety resources for science teachers.