Programs & Initiatives
The Maine Department of Education coordinates a variety of science programs, policies and initiatives. These programs include recognition programs for teachers and students and initiatives aimed at strengthening aspects of science education in the state.
- Cross Discipline Literacy Network Science Webinars. This series of three webinars in the science strand outlines the connections of science practices to literacy goals of the updated Maine Learning Results and provides teaching strategies to support literacy through the practices.
- Getting to Proficiency: Helping Maine Graduate Every Student Prepared. The Maine DOE provides technical assistance, resources and guidance for school districts to implement the proficiency-based diploma and to do so in a way that promotes student learning and achievement of the Maine Learning Results.
- Maine’s Environmental Literacy Plan (ELP). Developed in 2010, the ELP outlines goals to improve environmental literacy in Maine.
- Maine Governor’s Academy for Science, Technology, Education and Mathematics (STEM) Education Leadership. The Maine Governor’s Academy for STEM Education Leadership is based on the model of the successful National Academy for Science and Mathematics Education Leadership, which has built national leadership for science and mathematics reform.
- Maine Learning Technology Initiative. Maine schools have led the way for more than a decade when it comes to harnessing the power of technology to make learning a customized, engaging and demanding endeavor.
- National Youth Science Camp (NYSC). NYSC provides an opportunity for promising science youth to participate in a three-week intensive science program with scientists from across the nation.
- Next Generation Science Standards Development. Maine is one of 26 states leading the charge to develop shared standards for science learning that focus more on inquiry and investigation than fact memorization.
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching. The Presidential Awards Program recognizes outstanding mathematics and science educators. To see other Maine DOE-related awards and recognition for individual or groups of educators, visit our Educator Awards page.
- STEM. The Maine DOE believes that greater access to quality STEM teaching and learning can positively impact student career options and personal and civic decision-making, and give students a vital role in strengthening Maine’s economy. The Department recognizes that student understanding in the STEM areas is essential to being an informed citizen and a successful participant in the workplace.