These specific interventions can be used to support grades 8-12 students in the areas of reading, mathematics, writing and behavior. Grades 8-12 interventions can be used at all three tiers with varying levels of intensity and focus.
- Intervention Central. A number of academic interventions ranging in reading comprehension, fluency, study, and organization and writing.
- Center on Instruction (Literacy). Materials that help educators improve academic outcomes for students, address the problem of struggling readers and meet instructional challenges of diversity in students' ability and reading readiness.
- Reciprocal Teaching. An interactive instructional practice that aims to improve students’ reading comprehension by teaching strategies to obtain meaning from a text.
- Read 180. A comprehensive system designed for any student reading two or more years below grade-level. Read 180 is proven to raise reading achievement for struggling readers in grades 4 through adulthood.
- Vocabulary Teaching Strategies. A number of research-based strategies for teaching vocabulary.
- Reading Fluency Generators. A customizable generator to help teachers authentically measure reading fluency in their classrooms.
- Maze Passage Generator. Customizable generators to measure reading comprehension.
- Intervention Central. A number of academic interventions for writing instruction.
- Communication Skills. A multitude of resources for improving all areas of writing and communicating.
- Writing Skills Checklist (PDF). A checklist to inventory students’ foundation writing skills.
- Intervention Central. Academic interventions for mathematics instruction.
- Cognitive Tutor for Algebra I. Interactive software with customized prompts that focus on Algebra I areas in which the student is struggling.
- Academy of Math. Web-based intervention solution that helps at-risk students develop computational fluency and achieve significant gains in math proficiency.
- Khan Academy: Exercise Dashboard. Specified tools and practicing resources throughout the mathematics subject areas.
- Math Practice. Online resources to aid students in preparing for the mathematics portion of the SAT.
- High School Math Activities. Activities to increase content knowledge and skill abilities in various math areas.
- High School Math Worksheets. Resources to supplement or enhance learning for high school math.
- Comprehensive List of Protocols from the School Reform Initiative. List of exercises and interventions to effectively measure and improve specific behavioral and academic needs.
- Intervention Central. A number of research-based academic interventions for improving behavior of students.
- Materials for PBIS Implementation. Multiple materials to aid schools and teachers in implementing PBIS at the secondary level.
- Cool Tools. Lesson plans for teaching the school's behavior expectations.