The Maine Department of Education either directly manages these award programs that recognize individual educators or groups of educators, or works with the program sponsor to identify and honor an award recipient.
- Maine Teacher of the Year. The Maine Teacher of the Year is an outstanding teacher who best represents the thousands of excellent educators in Maine. The Teacher of the Year serves as an advocate for the teaching profession, education and students. A new Teacher of the Year is chosen annually.
- Maine Educator Talent Pool. The Maine Educator Talent Pool is a collection of some of Maine's top educators who can be considered for membership on local and state advisory boards and task forces along with special recognition through the Maine DOE.
- Milken Family Foundation Educator Award. The Milken Family Foundation annually awards an outstanding Maine teacher, principal or other education professional an unrestricted, $25,000 prize. By honoring outstanding educators, the program strives to attract, develop, motivate and retain talented people to take on the challenge and adventure of teaching.
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching. The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching are the Nation's highest honors for teachers of mathematics and science. Awardees serve as models for their colleagues, inspiration to their communities, and leaders in the improvement of mathematics and science education.
- Commissioner's Recognition Awards Program. The Commissioner's Recognition Awards Program annually recognizes five individuals and/or alternative programs that have made a significant contribution to meeting the needs of at-risk children in their communities and helping them succeed in their learning.