Establishing a Program
The Maine Department of Education has compiled the following information for school districts to consider when establishing a public preschool program. The establishment of public preschools is entirely a local decision. Contact the Maine DOE early childhood consultant for more information.
- Community Collaboration. Comprehensive community planning provides a systematic approach to coordinate efforts to provide quality preschool programs in Maine.
- Factors to Consider in Planning Process. Are you interested in starting a public preschool in your community?
- Forms. The following forms will help you establish or expand a local public preschool program.
- Funding. Only school administrative units can receive funding for public preschool programs.
- Program Requirements. Program requirements are in place to ensure that Maine is providing high-quality public preschools to the state's youth.
- Recommended Quality Standards of Program Practice. These quality standards are based on national research and input from diverse early childhood groups and individuals throughout Maine.
- Serving Special Populations. Information about serving children with special needs and English learners.