Establishing a Program
The Maine Department of Education has compiled the following information for school districts to consider when establishing a public preschool program. The establishment of public preschools is entirely a local decision. Contact the Maine DOE early childhood consultant for more information.
- Chapter 124: Basic Approval Standards: Public Preschool Programs. (RTF, 253KB) These standards are required for all new or expanded public preschool programs beginning in the 2015-16 school year. By July 1, 2017, all preschool programs must comply with these standards.
- Community Collaboration. Comprehensive community planning provides a systematic approach to coordinate efforts to provide quality preschool programs in Maine.
- Factors to Consider in Planning Process. Are you interested in starting a public preschool in your community?
- Funding. Only school administrative units can receive funding for public preschool programs.
- Program Requirements. Program requirements are in place to ensure that Maine is providing high-quality public preschools to the state's youth.
- Serving Special Populations. Information about serving children with special needs and English learners.