As districts begin to develop their own proficiency-based learning systems, locally-designed standards and performance indicators will need to be aligned to the state and national documents. The following protocols and guidance will help school leaders and educators efficiently and effectively undertake this process. We strongly recommend that districts and schools engage in collaborative professional conversations and activities as they work to develop their proficiency standards and indicators.
To assist in this process, we have created the following resources:
- Design Criteria Chart: Graduation Standards (PDF, 149KB)
- Design Criteria Chart: Performance Indicators (PDF, 149KB)
- Protocol 1: Developing Graduation Standards (PDF, 181KB)
- Protocol 2: Defining Performance Indicators (PDF, 233KB)
- Alignment Chart: Proficiency-Based Learning Simplified and the Maine Cohort for Customized Learning
- What Are Personalized Learning Pathways?
- How Learning Standards Work Chart
- The Art and Science of Designing Competencies