Additional National Resources for Mathematics
School districts make decisions about the identification of additional resources that will support teachers and students in their learning and understanding in mathematics. The Maine Department of Education has compiled these resources that educators may find helpful as part of our commitment to supporting Maine’s learning community.
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Principles and Standards of School Mathematics (PSSM). Published in 2000, PSSM is the “new” standards document of the NCTM. This book was used as a resource in the development of the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM). The Council describes PSSM as “the mathematical understanding, knowledge and skills that students should acquire from Pre-K through grade 12."
- Curriculum Focal Points for Prekindergarten through Grade 8 Mathematics. Published in 2007, Curriculum Focal Points outlines areas of focus by grade level, three areas of focus for each grade level. NCTM defines curriculum focal points as the most important mathematical topics for each grade level. They comprise related ideas, concepts, skills and procedures that form the foundation for understanding and lasting learning. They are the topics that should be considered as the basis for decisions about curriculum development. This book was used as a resource in the development of the CCSSM.
- Focus in High School Mathematics: Reasoning and Sense Making. Published in 2009, Focus in High School Mathematics: Reasoning and Sense Making is a conceptual framework to guide the development of future publications and tools related to grades 9–12 mathematics curriculum and instruction. This book was used as a resource in the development of the CCSSM.
- Math Equity Resources. NCTM has gathered a collection of articles, resources, presentations and actions focused on math and equity, accessible to members and non-members alike.
American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Benchmarks for Science Literacy. Published in 1993, “Benchmarks” is a companion document to Science for All Americans. Chapters three, nine and 12 deal with mathematics. Chapter 15 is also useful as a source of information on student learning research.
American Statistical Association
- Guidelines for Assessment and Instruction in Statistics Education (GAISE) Report: A PreK-12 Curriculum Framework. This GAISE report was written to support the development of statistical literacy of students in a PreK-12 curriculum.
- GAISE Report: College Report. Supports the development of statistical literacy of students.
National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
- NAEP Mathematics. See the results of the latest NAEP Mathematics Assessment, as well as additional resources supporting mathematics.