Common Core Resources
Ultimately, school districts make decisions about the identification of additional resources that will support teachers and students in their learning and understanding in mathematics. Materials on this page can assist local schools in their efforts.
Curricular Support Resources
- K–8 Standards by Domain. See and download how the Common Core State Standards, which are incorporated in the Maine Learning Results, progress through the grades within the domains.
- Illustrative Mathematics Project. Provides guidance to states, assessment consortia, testing companies and curriculum developers by illustrating the range and types of mathematical work that students will experience in a faithful implementation of the Common Core State Standards, and by publishing other tools that support implementation of the standards.
- Inside Mathematics. Inside Mathematics has worked closely with mathematics education leaders involved in the creation of the national Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) to align the resources of this site with the national standards for mathematical practice. These classroom video vignettes can be used to see and hear what Common Core-aligned instruction looks like, as well as to find professional development opportunities within your own department, school and district.
- Mathematics At Work Brochures. Aligned to the CCSSM for middle and high school, these brochures may be helpful for teachers looking to answer the question, “When will I ever us math?” Achieve developed these brochures to examine how higher-level mathematics is used in today’s workplaces. The brochures are downloadable as PDFs and are aligned to the CCSSM.
- Progression Documents for the Common Core. This project provides narrative documents describing the progression of a topic across a number of grade levels, informed both by research on children’s cognitive development and by the logical structure of mathematics.
- Student Achievement Partners (SAP) Resources. SAP's upgraded website is a must-use source for all things Common Core. SAP has added the following new resources:
- New Common Core-aligned materials and resources for struggling students
- Essential actions and CCSS-aligned tools for school and district leaders
- Two new professional development modules
- Evidence guides for instructional practice that provide specific guidance for what the CCSS for ELA/Literacy and Mathematics look like in planning and practice
- Information on how educators can support the Common Core beyond their school communities
- The Teaching Channel. The Teaching Channel has multiple video clips of teachers implementing and teaching lessons aligned to the Common Core State Standards. You can use these videos to see and hear what Common Core-aligned instruction looks like.
Alignment Support Resources
- Curriculum Analysis Project. The Curriculum Analysis Project has three tools under development, including a mathematics content tool focused on determining the extent to which curriculum materials convey important mathematics content sequences across grade levels in the CCSSM; a mathematics practices tool to determine if curriculum materials engage support teachers and engage students; and a tool that determines the extent to which the curriculum materials support teachers in the areas of equity, assessment and technology.
- Publisher’s Criteria for the Common Core State Standards. This resource provides criteria for assessing the alignment of material to the Common Core State Standards. SAP, in collaboration with the lead writers of the CCSSM, developed these resources for K-8 and high school.
- Common Core State Standards Videos. The Hunt Institute and the Council for Chief State School Officers have developed a series of video vignettes to describe and explain the Common Core State Standards. In the videos, key standards writers talk about how the standards were developed, who was involved and the goals they set for all students.
- Mathematics Common Core Coalition. This coalition works to provide expertise and advice on issues related to the effective implementation and assessment of the CCSSM.
- Tools for the Common Core Standards. Offers links for many of the items listed above as well as new tools as they are developed and shared.
- Grade-by-Grade Parent Guides to the Common Core in English and Spanish. The Council of the Great City Schools has developed content- and grade-specific parent roadmaps that provide detailed information for parents about the expectations of the Common Core in English Language Arts and Literacy and Mathematics. These roadmaps include examples of grade-level focus in the content area using parent-friendly language, sample progressions of learning across three grade levels in the Common Core and tips to parents on communicating with teachers about their child’s work and how to support student learning at home. Translations beyond Spanish will follow throughout the 2013-14 school year.
- Videos about the Common Core for Community Members in English and Spanish. The Council of the Great City Schools developed two 30-second public service announcements (PSAs) to quickly tell the story of the Common Core State Standards to the public. The PSAs are available in both English and Spanish. In addition, CGCS also developed two three-minute videos (one in English and one in Spanish) that explain the Common Core in a slightly longer form. The videos explain how the Common Core will help students achieve at high levels and help them learn what they need to know to get to graduation and beyond. These videos work particularly well for presentations to community and parent groups.
- PTA Parents’ Guide to Student Success. The National PTA created guides in English and Spanish for grades K-12 to inform parents about the CCSS and support their children’s success. The guides outline the key concepts that students should be learning in each grade in English language arts/literacy and mathematics, methods for building relationships with teachers and tips for planning for college and careers.