The Maine Department of Education is committed to providing and promoting professional development opportunities that support efforts in developing and implementing quality comprehensive school health education.
For technical assistance or professional development information, contact the Maine DOE Health Education and Health Promotion Coordinator or the Health Education and Physical Education Consultant.
Conferences & Workshops
- 2015 Comprehensive School Health Education Spring Conference: Health Education: The Continuing Journey to Proficiency. March 11 at the Maine Department of Public Safety, Augusta, ME
- Maine Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance Annual Conference. This association holds a fall conference each year. The 2015 conference will be held November 1 – 3, 2015 at the Samoset Resort, Rockport, ME.
- 2014 Comprehensive School Health Education Spring Conference Presentation materials
- Moving to Proficiency in Health Education Experienced Colleagues in the Field Presentation
- Graduation Standards (PDF, 522KB)
- Redesigning the Curriculum (PDF, 1MB)
- Student Assessments (PDF, 2MB)
- Classroom Implementation (Materials to be posted at a later date)
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Maine. Provides support, education and advocacy on behalf of people with mental illness and their families. The website provides access to information and resources at the local and state level including a helpline, education/training and support groups.
- Training Calendar. Check the Maine DOE Training Calendar to register for upcoming professional development opportunities.
Online Learning Opportunities
- University of Maine at Farmington (UMF) LibGuides for Health. These health-related links were compiled by Laurie MacWhinnie, head of reference services at UMF. Click on the course or content area and use the tabs across the top of the pages to find related web resources, books, articles, etc.
- SHE 233: Teaching Health in Elementary Schools. Recommended web resources for teaching health topics and tips for evaluating information from the web.
- SHE 330: Foundations of School Health. Recommended resources for researching and developing a coordinated school health program.
- SHE 433/533: Curriculum and Methods in School Health Education. Recommended resources for school health curriculum, coordinated school health programs and professional resources on the web for health educators.
- HIV Biomedical Update (PDF, 4.3MB). This presentation, compiled by the Virology Treatment Center at the Maine Medical Center, offers the latest information and statistics on HIV.