The Maine Department of Education has compiled the following professional development resources for educators' consideration.
National & Statewide Resources
- Council for Exceptional Children
- Maine DOE Visual & Performing Arts - Gifted & Talented
- Maine Educators of the Gifted & Talented
- National Association for Gifted & Talented Children
Courses for Educators
- Maine Educators of the Gifted & Talented. Compiles a list of upcoming university courses related to gifted and talented education.
- University of Maine at Farmington. Check annual listing of outreach courses.
- University of Maine. Contact Phyllis Thibodeau at 207-581-2433.
- University of Southern Maine. Check annual and quarterly course listings.
General Gifted & Talented Resources
- Austega's Gifted Services. Austega offers resources and annotated links for gifted and talented educators. Please note that this website is no longer being maintained.
- Belin-Blank Center for Gifted Education & Talent Development. Webinars, listservs and other opportunities for gifted & talented professionals. The center is located at the University of Iowa.
- Davidson Institute. Find a collection of gifted and talented research, curriculum and support.
- Hoagies' Gifted Education. Resources specifically for educators, counselors, psychologists and administrators of gifted students.
- Neag Center for Gifted Education & Talent Development. Current research studies are an integrated approach to identifying, serving and evaluating academic outcomes. The center is located at the University of Connecticut.
- Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG). As an educator, how can you help gifted children? SENG provides information on identification, guidance and effective ways to work with gifted individuals.
- BBC Languages. Read about student language learning.
- Center for Gifted Education. Exemplary curriculum frameworks using the the Integrated Curriculum Model. Provided by the William and Mary School of Education.
- Digital History. Use technology to enhance your teaching and research in the subject of history.
- Education Program for Gifted Youth. A listing of e-learning courses for gifted children. Offered by Stanford University.
- New Horizons for Learning. Learn about successful intelligences from Robert Sternberg. Presented by the Johns Hopkins University School of Education.
- Off-Site Schools for the Gifted:
- Renzulli Learning. The Renzulli Learning Differentiation Engine puts students in touch with engaging, individualized resources specially chosen for their interest areas and learning styles.
- Teaching for Intellectual & Emotional Learning. Professional development opportunities for teachers and administrators.
- Web-Based Math Program. View Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces' online math program.
Common Book Titles in Gifted Education
The following books titles are listed alphabetically by title.
- A Guide to State Policies in Gifted Education CD-ROM. Author: Pamela R. Clinkenbeard, Penny Britton Kolloff, and E. Wayne Lord
- Aiming For Excellence: Annotations to the NAGC Pre-K-Grade 12 Gifted Program Standards. Author: Landrum, Callahan, & Shaklee (Eds.)
- Alternative Assessments for Identifying Gifted and Talented Students. Author: VanTassel-Baska, Joyce Ed.D
- Best Practices in Gifted Education: An Evidence-Based Guide. Author: Robinson, A., Shore, B., & Enersen, D.
- Critical Issues and Practices in Gifted Education: What the Research Says. Author: Carolyn M. Callahan, Ph.D., Jonathan Plucker, Ph.D.
- Designing and Utilizing Evaluation for Gifted Program Improvement. Edited by J. Van Tassel-Baska & A. X. Feng
- Educating Gifted Students in Middle School. Author: S. Rakow
- Identifying Gifted Students: A Practical Guide. Author Susan K. Johnsen
- Investigating Creativity in Youth Research and Methods. Author: Fishkin, Cramond, Olszewski-Kubilius (Eds.)
- Mile Marker Series. Publisher: National Association for Gifted Children
- Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults. Author: J. Webb, E. Amend, N. Webb, J. Goerss, P. Beljan, & F. R. Olenchak
- NAGC Gifted Program Standards in Action. Author: Elizabeth Pinkney Coyne, Ph.D. (ed.)
- A Nation Deceived: How Schools Hold Back America's Brightest Students. The Templeton National Report on Acceleration.
- The Parallel Curriculum: A Design to Develop Learner Potential and Challenge Advanced Learners Second Edition. Author: Tomlinson, Kaplan, Renzulli, Purcell, Leppien, Burns, Strickland, Imbeau
- Patterns and Profiles of Promising Learners From Poverty. Author: VanTassel-Baska, Joyce Ed.D.
- Programs and Services for Gifted Secondary Students. Author Felicia A. Dixon
- Re-Forming Gifted Education: Matching the Program to the Child. Author K. Rogers
- Social-Emotional Curriculum with Gifted Students. Author: VanTassel-Baska, Joyve Ed.D
- The Social and Emotional Development of Gifted Children. Edited by M. Neihart, S. Reis, N. Robinson & S. Moon.
- Staff Development: The Key To Effective Gifted Education Programs. Edited by Peggy Dettmar, Ph.D., and Mary Landrum, Ph.D.
- Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom Book & CD-ROM. Author Susan Weinbrenner.