Literacy Links: Monthly Electronic Newsletter
Literacy Links is a monthly electronic publication for Maine educators that provides research-based information related to a number of aspects of literacy education, such as literacy assessment practices, Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for English Language Arts (ELA)/Literacy—which are included in the Maine Learning Results—as well as essential elements of reading and writing instruction, and literacy assessment practices. Each month a different topic is presented. Research about the topic is shared along with instructional suggestions, web-based resources and additional ideas for professional reading.
Editions of Literacy Links are frequently recommended in professional workshops provided be the Maine Department of Education and are also referenced in professional learning materials developed by the Maine DOE, such as the Putting Reading First in Maine DVD Series, the literacy micro-courses and the ELA/literacy summer institutes. Educators may subscribe to receive the monthly newsletters.
All newsletters below are in RTF format.
Newsletters from 2013-14 School Year
- November 2013 (RTF, 2.2MB | PDF, 371KB). Topic: Collaborative Conversations
- September/October 2013 (RTF, 4.8MB | PDF, 449KB). Topic: Spotlight on Maine DOE English Language Arts Web Pages
- August 2013. Topic: 2013-14 Cross Discipline Literacy Network
Newsletters from 2012-13 School Year
- May/June 2013. Topic: Smarter Balanced Assessment
- April 2013. Topic: Introduction to Smarter Balanced Assessment System
- March 2013. Topic: Academic Vocabulary
- February 2013. Topic: Evidence-Based Responses/Writing from Sources
- January 2013. Topic: Text Dependent Questions & Close Reading
- December 2012. Topic: Knowledge in the Disciplines
- November 2012. Topic: Balancing Informational & Literary Texts, K-5
- October 2012. Topic: Staircase of Text Complexity
- September 2012. Topic: Instructional Shifts & CCSS for ELA
- August 2012. Topic: Cross Discipline Literacy Network & Literacy for ME Initiative