Putting Reading First in Maine
Putting Reading First in Maine is a series of 17 video segments developed through the Maine Department of Education’s Maine Reading First Initiative. The video series was originally used in conjunction with the Maine Reading First Statewide Course and was provided to all Maine elementary schools as a professional development resource. To obtain copies of the Putting Reading First in Maine video series, contact Maine DOE literacy specialist.
- Putting Reading First in Maine DVD & Study Guide (PDF, 89KB)
- Professional Viewing Guide (DOC, 928KB). This guide is available to support educators’ use of the video series.
Putting Reading First in Maine DVD Instructional Materials by Segment
The following presentations accompany each video segment and are in PDF format.
- Segment 1 - Introduction to Reading First
- Segment 2 - Literacy Learning Theory
- Segment 3 - Oral Language Development
- Segment 4 - Reading & Writing Development
- Segment 5 - Instructional Frameworks for Comprehensive Literacy Programs
- Segment 6 - Design of Classroom Environments that Support Literacy Instruction
- Segment 7 - Phonological & Phonemic Awareness Research & Assessment
- Segment 8 - Phonological & Phonemic Awareness Instruction
- Segment 9 - Phonics Research & Assessment
- Segment 10 - Phonics Instruction
- Segment 11 - Fluency Research & Assessment
- Segment 12 - Fluency Instruction
- Segment 13 - Vocabulary Research & Assessment
- Segment 14 - Vocabulary Instruction
- Segment 15 - Comprehension Research & Assessment
- Segment 16 - Comprehension Instruction
- Segment 17 - Broad Supports for Literacy
Video Viewing Protocols
Video viewing protocols may help educators frame collaborative discussions about the video content.