Coaches & Athletic Administrators
The health and wellness of students have always been important factors influencing learner achievement. The Maine Department of Education--in conjunction with coaches, athletic administrators, families, healthcare providers and educators--is committed to helping students prevent, manage and recover from concussions.
A student's recovery from a concussion is a delicate process – and one that varies from student to student. It is important that concussed students avoid athletic activity during recovery, as such activity can endanger the recovery process and aggravate concussion symptoms. The following resources will help athletic administrators, trainers and coaches manage head injuries related to school activities and athletics.
- Student Athlete/Parent Acknowledgement Form (RTF, 55KB). Maine's Concussion Workgroup created this document for students and parents to sign-off on their responsibility to report head injuries.
- Concussion in Sports: What You Need to Know. All coaches working with high school teams in Maine are required to complete this online training. The training is suggested for all coaches working with children in Maine.
- Heads Up: Concussion in Youth Sports Training. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provide this free, online, 30-minute course available to coaches, parents and others helping to keep athletes safe from concussion.
- Acute Concussion Evaluation (ACE) Care Plan. This screening tool helps facilitate the return to school process and is used by the medical professional to guide student recovery. The ACE form is given to the student athlete and parents/guardians to take with them to the doctor's office. The physician will give the finished form back to the student athlete and parents/guardian to be returned to the school.
- ACE Physician/Clinician Office Version. A CDC sideline assessment tool to be used by a medical professional, athletic trainer or trained school nurse.
- Concussion & Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Read all the information for concussion management from the CDC.
- Heads Up Concussion Wallet Card. This downloadable card is a quick sideline reference that will fit in the wallets of coaches working with student athletes.
- Heads Up Guide for Coaches. Learn the necessary information to keep students safe when participating in sports.
- Heads Up to Schools: Know Your Concussion ABCs. Learn the ABCs of concussions: A-Assess the situation;
B-Be alert for signs and symptoms; and C-Contact a health care professional. This page offers multiple resources related to students returning to school after a concussion.