Enrolling in an Approved Charter School
Current Enrollment Opportunities
Baxter Academy for Technology and Science, located at 54 York St. Portland Maine, 04101 is now taking applications for 9th and 10th grade students for school year 2014-2015. Enrollment is open to any student in the state and tuition is publicly funded. The deadline for filing a Letter of Intent is Saturday, March 1, 2014 at 4:00 PM. If there is a need for a lottery, it will be conducted on March 5, 2014 at 5:30 PM."
Cornville Regional Charter School, located at 1192 W Ridge Rd, Cornville, Maine, 04976 has openings for student enrollment for the 2014-2015 academic year. For each K-8th grade student wishing to enroll, a written declaration of intent to enroll is required. Intent to Enroll forms can be found on the school’s website at cornvilleregionalcharterschool.org and must be returned by March 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM. Lottery date to be announced. We already have more than 20 applicants and are sending a letter to the 30 on the waiting list from last year.
Terms of Charter School Enrollment
Under Maine's charter school law, any student residing in the State of Maine may enroll in a public charter school.
Enrollment cannot be denied based on where the student lives within Maine, nor on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, income level, limited English proficiency, or academic or athletic ability.
Charter school enrollment may be limited as follows:
- Enrollment may be limited to students of specific ages or grade levels
- Enrollment is not on a first-come, first-enrolled basis. Each school has an enrollment window, and if student interest within that window exceeds capacity, the names of all interested students are placed in a pool and drawn at random
- The charter school law limits the number of students who can be drawn from surrounding schools districts in the first three years of a charter school's operation. No more than 5 percent of a grade level can be drawn from school administrative units with fewer than 500 students, and no more than 10 percent of a grade level can be drawn from school administrative units with 500 or more students.
Charter school slots may be reserved only for certain students, as follows:
- A charter school must give preference to its prior-year students and to their siblings.
- A charter school may give preference to the children of charter school founders, board members and full-time staff, but not more than 10 percent of the student body.
How Do Students Enroll?
Take a look at each of the approved charter schools' websites below for details about enrollment.
- Baxter Academy for Technology and Science, Portland
- Cornville Regional Charter School
- Fiddlehead School of Arts and Science, Gray
- Harpswell Coastal Academy
- Maine Academy of Natural Sciences, Hinckley
- Learn more about the authorized charter schools at the Maine Charter School Commission website