Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who needs to be certified?
Teachers, educational specialists, administrators and educational technicians must hold an authorization.
2. How long does certification last?
Conditional, Transitional, Targeted Need and Provisional extensions are one-year certificates. Provisional is a two-year certificate, and professional is a five-year certificate.
3. How may I check the status of my application?
Visit the MEDMS Report Portal to check your application's status.
4. Who has to be fingerprinted?
Anyone who works in a school. It is up to the school if they require volunteers to be fingerprinted, but it is recommended.
5. I have a question about testing requirements for educators in Maine. Where would I find related information?
Testing information can be found on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) Praxis website.
6. What if I have a transcript that's from outside of the United States?
If you have other questions, please read through the Certification website materials first. Contact our office if you have further questions.