Maine's Transition to a Learner-Centered System
Interested in learning more about the direction of education in Maine?
- Education Evolving: Maine's Plan for Putting Learners First. The Maine Department of Education's strategic plan lays out a path to transition Maine schools to a model in which students have a greater role in organizing their education and more choice in deciding how they master academic standards.
- Recognizing education's evolution. Blog entry by Commissioner Bowen about the strategic plan's objectives.
- Challenging times, and a path forward. Remarks by Commissioner Bowen about adapting Maine's education system to meet the needs of all learners.
- Preparing for an 'inevitable' era. Blog entry by Commissioner Bowen about customizing education to meet the needs of all students.
- Toward a literacy of learning. Blog entry by Commissioner Bowen reflecting on his visits to classrooms that have moved to a proficiency-based model of learning.
This Center for Best Practice is a collaboration between the Maine Department of Education and the Nellie Mae Education Foundation, made possible by the contributions of the Maine schools that share their stories.